The physics of it
A Solar Eclipse happens when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, blocking the sunlight from view for a short time. ( Earth ---> Moon ---> Sun ) A Lunar Eclipse occurs when the Earth moves between the Moon and the Sun blocking sunlight so that it cannot reflect off the surface of the Moon. (Moon <---> Earth <---> Sun )
A Solar Eclipse can only happen in conjunction with a New Moon, and not every New Moon has these three bodies in proper alignment ... each at the right "altitude" for this blockage to occur. (Basically in a straight line on the same plane.) A Lunar Eclipse can only happen at the Full Moon ... and again, not each one is aligned to produce this. That's the physics of it.
The metaphysics of it
The metaphysics of it -- where Astrology comes in -- goes like this. A Solar Eclipse brings on a time of self-examination -- and potentially strong emotions. You are confronted -- often and insistently -- with issues from the past, habits, traditions, things you were taught and which are strong and familiar that now need re-evaluation.
It speaks of a blight, a hang-up, a literal shadow on your life that asks you to look at what's happening, be objective about what you discover, be honest with yourself about your need to heal ... and take steps to be more authentic and fully yourself in the future.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Eclipses & Aspects
* Eclipses -- Special Alignments between -- The Sun, The Moon and The Earth -- for those who like their Astrology straight-up and hard core ---> An eclipse -- why it happens -- In ancient times, eclipses were viewed with fear and wariness -- since they were imperfectly understood. But even today, when we fully understand the cause of eclipses ... and can predict their appearances years in advance, there's still a definite ambivalence -- even among astrologers -- about this peculiar, visually stunning astronomical phenomenon.
* Eclipses: A Celestial Show in Light and Shadow -- The User-Friendly Version ---> A celestial sensation -- Eclipses have long been viewed with wariness and caution. They are, for certain, visually impressive events. If you ever have the chance to see one, it's worth the effort. But if you missed the latest one, never fear. There will be others!
* The Fractiousness and Fracture Lines of the Full Moon -- The crisis is predictable. It happens every month. ---> One of life's great divides -- All Full Moons involve some kind of conflict. Usually, as the Full Moon forms ... and for several nights following, you feel pulled in two directions at once, required to try and serve two masters ... no matter how impossible you know that is logically. Life's demands in two opposing / competing areas become equally demanding and intense.
Conjunctions of the Sun -- When the Essential Self Merges with Another Inner Self ---> When the Sun and another Inner Self join forces -- Conjunctions involving the Sun merge the Sun's symbolism of self-image, creative effort, personal pride and initiative with whatever the other planet (or planets) symbolize. These two are then joined together as a unit.
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined. The Sun and its meaning are the centerpiece in the structure of Astrology.
What Do Sun Aspects Show? -- The Presence and Behavior of Your Inner Selves ---> All aspects to the Sun affect how the person, entity or event you're examining expresses itself ... and how it is perceived. If you have aspects to the Sun in your Natal Chart -- and chances are you do, an unaspected Sun is rare but not impossible -- it shows influences from your family of Inner Selves that affect your self expression.
The Sun & the Moon
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky and two of the most commanding points of information in a horoscope.
* Lunar Folks in a Sun Sign World -- When the Moon is your guiding light ---> A place in the Sun ---> It would seem life in "the outer world" is built for Sun Sign folks. Maybe that's as it should be. Even mainstream Astrology ... the kind most people know, at least from the dime store Astrology books and daily horoscopes that pass for "Astrology" in our culture ... casts Sun Sign energy as the lead player in life's drama.
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily. The Moon provides a secondary influence in the personality. It is usually subordinate to The Sun, but sometimes can be more obvious.
More on the Sun & the Moon
Sun Sign / Moon Sign -- Sun Energy / Moon Energy in Your Horoscope -- What's the difference? ---> You have a Sun Sign ---> Your Sun sign is the Zodiac sign the Sun was traveling through at the time you were born. There are twelve signs in the Zodiac, starting with Aries and ending with Pisces. When you arrived in the world The Sun was in one of them. The "signs" are pretty familiar to many people because "astrology" as presented by the mainstream ....
From EDA: The Sun and The Moon ---> Everyday Astrology March 30, 2020 Sun & Moon ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your Essential Self, the inner part of your character that defines your personality and ego. It is your basic identity to the world as your life unfolds. Arguably it also describes your spiritual purpose ... your sense of who you are and who you are meant to become. It is your present self reaching into the future as you develop your potential and talents.
From the Blogs, Ezines
From EDA: The New Moon ---> Everyday Astrology June 22, 2020 The New Moon ---> The New Moon forms once a month, when the Moon's orbit brings it into exact alignment in the sky with the Sun. This puts the Moon between the Earth and the Sun ... which is precisely the arrangement needed for a Solar Eclipse. Solar Eclipses only happen around the time of the New Moon ... but there are reasons why we get a New Moon during every Zodiac sign, but not a Solar Eclipse on the same schedule.
From EDA: The Sun ---> Everyday Astrology March 15, 2020 The Sun ---> Just as the Sun is the physical center of our Solar System, so the Sun in Astrology is the center of attention in a horoscope. It provides a starting point for an Astrologer to begin interpreting the essential qualities of a person's character or a situation -- whatever that particular chart happens to examine. The pivotal energy of a person or event starts there -- with the Sun's sign & location.
From EDA: The Full Moon ---> Everyday Astrology June 5, 2020 The Full Moon ---> New Moons are about starting new things -- new projects, new commitments, new interests. The New Moon in Gemini, wherever it falls in the sign, is about using your mind to explore your world, to explore your life, to find your place in both and understand them all differently. The Full Moon in Sagittarius opposing the Gemini Sun is actually able to help that happen by providing context to what's going on.
Articles Index Links
Celestial Navigation is
Rebecca's Astrology Blog