An eclipse -- why it happens
In ancient times, eclipses were viewed with fear and wariness -- since they were imperfectly understood. But even today, when we fully understand the cause of eclipses ... and can predict their appearances years in advance, there's still a definite ambivalence -- even among astrologers -- about this peculiar, visually stunning astronomical phenomenon.
From a strictly astrological viewpoint, a Solar Eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon occupy the same degree of a Zodiac sign and are positioned in the sky so that the Moon blocks the Sun from view ... either fully or partially. Thus, Solar Eclipses can only occur during a New Moon. A Lunar Eclipse, on the other hand, occurs when the Earth moves between the Sun and the Moon in a position to throw its own shadow against the Moon. Lunar Eclipses can only occur during a Full Moon.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* What's the Difference Between -- A Solar and a Lunar Eclipse? -- Different Issues ... Different Requests for Your Attention ---> The physics of it -- A Solar Eclipse happens when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, blocking the sunlight from view for a short time. ( Earth ---> Moon ---> Sun ) A Lunar Eclipse occurs when the Earth moves between the Moon and the Sun blocking sunlight so that it cannot reflect off the surface of the Moon. (Moon Earth Sun )
What Is a Conjunction? ---> Conjunctions are aspects in astrology where the planets or elements involved occupy approximately the same degree and minute of arc in the Zodiac. (In practice, an "orb of aspect" of 8 - 10 degrees is still considered a valid conjunction.)
Conjunctions of the Sun -- When the Essential Self Merges with Another Inner Self ---> When the Sun and another Inner Self join forces -- Conjunctions involving the Sun merge the Sun's symbolism of self-image, creative effort, personal pride and initiative with whatever the other planet (or planets) symbolize. These two are then joined together as a unit.
What Do Sun Aspects Show? -- The Presence and Behavior of Your Inner Selves ---> All aspects to the Sun affect how the person, entity or event you're examining expresses itself ... and how it is perceived. If you have aspects to the Sun in your Natal Chart -- and chances are you do, an unaspected Sun is rare but not impossible -- it shows influences from your family of Inner Selves that affect your self expression.
The Sun & Moon in Astrology
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light ....
The Moon in General -- Your Inner Self of Feelings, Emotions and Intuition ---> Welcome to your inner world -- In Astrology, The Moon represents our inner feelings, our emotions ... and our deep security needs. It reflects our basic habits, instincts and automatic reactions. It speaks to some elements of our Karma and childhood home, our upbringing, family background and specifically our relationship with our mother (or major mother figure from the past.)
* The Fractiousness and Fracture Lines of the Full Moon -- The crisis is predictable. It happens every month. ---> One of life's great divides -- All Full Moons involve some kind of conflict. Usually, as the Full Moon forms ... and for several nights following, you feel pulled in two directions at once, required to try and serve two masters ... no matter how impossible you know that is logically. Life's demands in two opposing / competing areas become equally demanding and intense.
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined. The Sun and its meaning are the centerpiece in the structure of Astrology.