The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky and two of the most commanding points of information in a horoscope.
But, not to shave the distinction too fine, The Sun is the only one that generates its own light (and heat). The Moon is basically an enormous rock in orbit around the Earth, and the light it gives off during its changing phases every month, is a reflection of light from The Sun. The Moon generates no light of its own. Only when it is properly situated in the sky relative to The Sun is it able to reflect sunlight.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
* The Sun in General -- Your Essential Self of Power, Will, Vitality and Ambition ---> The essence of you -- In Astrology, The Sun represents your basic core identity. It gives information about the qualities of your ego, your individual self-expression, your self-image and your sense of personal identity. It depicts both the essence of who you are and how you define and reveal yourself to the rest of the world.
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined. The Sun and its meaning are the centerpiece in the structure of Astrology.
* The Moon in General -- Your Inner Self of Feelings, Emotions and Intuition ---> Welcome to your inner world -- In Astrology, The Moon represents our inner feelings, our emotions ... and our deep security needs. It reflects our basic habits, instincts and automatic reactions.
* The Moon -- Ruler of Cancer ---> One of the most important components in your horoscope ---> The Moon, silvery, mysterious and reflective, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's inner, feeling-based personality. Along with the Sun and the Ascendant (or Rising Sign -- the sign that was literally rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth, the Moon is one of the three most significant components in a horoscope, traditionally considered to be the second most important, but this conclusion is extremely subjective.
* The New Moon -- A Milestone Celestial Event ---> When The Moon joins The Sun in the sky -- In astrology, the celestial phenomenon known as the New Moon occurs at the exact moment the Sun and the Moon occupy precisely the same point in the sky-map of the Zodiac -- the same degree and minute of arc in a particular sign. This alignment is known as a conjunction.
The Full Moon
* Shadows in the Moonlight -- The Full Moon and its Testy Temper ---> The Sun Opposing The Moon -- Who you are now vs. who you used to be The aspect of the Sun opposing the Moon is the classic celestial show the rest of the world calls The Full Moo. In Astrology, The Full Moon highlights tension between two conflicting desires, ambitions, requirements, or sets of values -- each a necessary part of life, and each somehow a problem for the other.
* Fractiousness and Fracture Lines: The Full Moon -- The crisis is predictable. It happens every month. ---> One of life's great divides -- All Full Moons involve some kind of conflict. Usually, as the Full Moon forms ... and for several nights following, you feel pulled in two directions at once, required to try and serve two masters ... no matter how impossible you know that is -- logically. Life's demands in two opposing / competing areas become equally insistent and intense.
The Sun in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Moon in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Serenity by Starlight is
Serenity's Astrology Blog