What's your sign?
When someone asks your sign, he wants to know which Zodiac sign the Sun was in when you were born. Usually it's easy to place anyone in a sign, although there are twelve days a year -- days when the Sun changes from one sign to the next -- when a clear answer isn't possible.
We all know about Sun signs. The familiar little astrology booklets are based on your birthday Sun's position. The "daily horoscopes" that grace many newspapers supposedly are, too, although most are really based on absolutely nothing.
(As an astrologer I should be able to back-engineer the text and see where the writer is coming from. I've tried ... and believe me, I can't. The people who call this stuff "nonsense" have my vote. IYAM, it absolutely is!)
Not the only one
Yes, The Sun is an important member of your horoscope, but he's not the only one -- and may not be the most important. Sun energy has powerful natural boosters, but factors can overpower it and someone who knows Astrology can see that and describe it, tell you what this means about your life and character and how you probably experience this formidable competition.
Besides The Sun there are nine other cosmic citizens in a horoscope -- The Moon and the eight known planets. Each is also in a Zodiac sign ... which may be the same as your Sun sign or may have nothing to do with it.
It may help your Sun energy ... which lifts both the Sun's power and its ally's influence. Or it may hinder and conflict with your Sun energy ... which causes problems, depletes your Sun's power -- and may not do the hindrance much good either.
The same ... but different
This is why people born in the same Sun sign can have vastly different personalities. We each come with a complex, unique combination of other energies who have their own power and attitudes, their own interests, their own expression.
Only people born very close to the same day and time you were born will share your same complex combination of Inner Selves. Granted, lots of people qualify. But, seriously, if you don't have a twin, how many people have you met born on your birthday near the same place or time?
What makes you unique
We all contain the combined influence of ten planets, twelve signs, twelve houses in the horoscope. If you have a cluster of planets in a sign other than your Sun's sign, you'll show off the qualities of that second sign so strongly people would swear you belong there ... and they'll have a point.
If people tell you you're not a "typical" member of your sign ... or if you conclude the usual description doesn't fit you, do yourself a favor. Get your chart done by a competent astrologer. Find out why this is. Find out who you are. Money spent to understand yourself better is cash well-spent.
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Sun in Astrology
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
Acting from the Center of the Sun -- Acting from the Center of Yourself ---> It's not magic ---> Astrology is not about magic, or superstition or self-delusion. Essentially, Astrology is about symbolism ... knowing how to read the code of life that the patterns in the stars depict. This is not because the planets and other heavenly bodies Astrology uses in its language are in certain signs or locations per se, but because ....
* Sun Power -- Sun energy in your horoscope and personality -- What does the Sun represent in Astrology -- and why is it important? ---> It's complicated -- and so are you ---> Astrology understands your personality is a complex, integrated structure. It's composed of different parts, different Inner Selves, that theoretically work together as a whole. Of course that's not always true. (I called it "theoretical" for a reason.) Inner conflict is a huge part of being human.
The Sun & Moon in Astrology
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light ....
Born on the Cusp
What Does It Mean to be 'Born on the Cusp?' ---> Being "born on the cusp" to most people means a birthday (usually their own) falls on or about the 21st of the month. This is approximately the day the Sun changes from one sign to another in the Zodiac, although calendars and other human structures being what they are, even that causes confusion.
From the Blogs, Ezines and Elsewhere
From EDA: The Sun ---> Everyday Astrology ---> March 15, 2020 ---> The Sun ---> Just as the Sun is the physical center of our Solar System, so the Sun in Astrology is the center of attention in a horoscope. It provides a starting point for an Astrologer to begin interpreting the essential qualities of a person's character or a situation -- whatever that particular chart happens to examine. The pivotal energy of a person or event starts there -- with the Sun's sign & location.
From EDA: The Sun and The Moon ---> Everyday Astrology ---> March 30, 2020 Sun & Moon ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your Essential Self, the inner part of your character that defines your personality and ego. It is your basic identity to the world as your life unfolds. Arguably it also describes your spiritual purpose ... your sense of who you are and who you are meant to become. It is your present self reaching into the future as you develop your potential and talents.
Learn more about The Sun in Astrology
These are the index pages to all our articles
on this topic.
The Sun in Astrology -- Articles Index
Born with the Sun in ... Articles Index
Sun Sign in Astrology -- Articles Index