Three ways of defining you ...
The short answer to this question is: Your Sun sign tells about your basic ego, your Moon sign tells about you emotional inner self, and your Ascendant tells about your outer presentation to the rest of the world.
If you want to know more ... read on:
There are three main components an astrologer considers in developing a quick thumbnail sketch of your personality. Astrologers call these three points in your horoscope the Sun sign, the Moon sign, and the Ascendant -- or "Rising sign." The fact that there are three of them goes a long way toward explaining why not everyone born under the same Zodiac sign is "just alike."
Your Sun Sign
The Sun symbolizes your basic personality. The Zodiac sign it is in describes the "essential qualities" of your character. This sign is also the easiest one to find. You probably already know it. It's what you mean when you tell someone "I'm an Aries," or "I'm a Capricorn," or "I'm a Pisces."
Your Moon Sign
To an astrologer, the Moon symbolizes the part of you that reacts automatically and from force of habit to experiences in the world. In fact, you may identify very strongly with this part of yourself ... and feel it is who you really are on the inside.
Your Ascendant Sign
The Ascendant is also called the "Rising Sign" of a person's chart. Astrologers use the two terms interchangeably. It is literally the sign that was rising on the Eastern horizon of the sky at the time you were born in the place where you were born. This is why it is essential to have both a birthplace and a birth time in order to cast a completely valid Natal Chart.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Sun and Moon Articles
* The Moon in General -- Your Inner Self of Feelings, Emotions and Intuition ---> Welcome to your inner world -- In Astrology, The Moon represents our inner feelings, our emotions ... and our deep security needs. It reflects our basic habits, instincts and automatic reactions. It speaks to some elements of our Karma and childhood home, our upbringing, family background and specifically our relationship with our mother (or major mother figure from the past.)
* The Sun in General -- Your Essential Self of Power, Will, Vitality and Ambition ---> The essence of you -- In Astrology, The Sun represents your basic core identity. It gives information about the qualities of your ego, your individual self-expression, your self-image and your sense of personal identity. It depicts both the essence of who you are and how you define and reveal yourself to the rest of the world.
More Sun and Moon Articles
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth.
Sun Sign / Moon Sign -- Sun Energy / Moon Energy in Your Horoscope -- What's the difference? ---> You have a Sun Sign ---> Your Sun sign is the Zodiac sign the Sun was traveling through at the time you were born. There are twelve signs in the Zodiac, starting with Aries and ending with Pisces. When you arrived in the world The Sun was in one of them.
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative.
Gender in Astrology
* Masculine Signs / Feminine Signs -- It has nothing to do with sex ---> Two orientations on the world ---> In Astrology and metaphysics, Masculine and Feminine refers not to gender or personal manner, but to one's basic orientation on the world and one's preferred strategies for dealing with problems.
* Masculine Signs -- The Fire and Air Signs ---> Signs of Life and Intellect ---> Essentially, "masculine" signs prefer to seize the moment, make things happen and change what doesn't suit them with their actions and choices. Masculine sign people are life's movers-and-shakers. Masculine signs are active, spontaneous, overtly ambitious and more interested in imposing their ...
* Feminine Signs -- The Earth and Water Signs ---> Signs of Practicality and Emotion ---> Where masculine signs are dynamic, self-motivating and proactive, feminine signs take a more subtle, passive approach when dealing with challenge or working for change.
Why Take Astrology Seriously? -- Oh, the things Astrology -- can do for you!! ---> It's more than a newspaper fun-feature. ---> Astrology provides an interesting road-map that can help you "decode" some of the mysteries of your life, your relationships, other people, your individual past, your unfolding future, and your personal destiny.
Working with What Works ... -- Until something better comes along ---> It's not "the stars" ... ---> I can understand why logical, rational people meeting the ideas of astrology for the first time (or the fifth time ... or the twentieth) without looking deeper would consider it all a bunch of claptrap.
What is a Horoscope? -- Astrology's Most Essential Tool ---> Sometimes this word is used to designate the forecast or prediction of events based on the alignment of planets in the sky at any given time. As such, it has been seriously abused and twisted by the popularized (and usually meaningless and sappy) "fortune-cookie" versions that appear in newspaper features and other products we all know so well.
Articles Index Links
Celestial Navigation is
Rebecca's Astrology Blog.