You have a Sun Sign
Your Sun sign is the Zodiac sign the Sun was traveling through at the time you were born. There are twelve signs in the Zodiac, starting with Aries and ending with Pisces. When you arrived in the world The Sun was in one of them.
The "signs" are pretty familiar to many people because "astrology" as presented by the mainstream ... the daily horoscope in the newspaper, the little scrolls you buy from vending machines, the paperback books on "your sign" you can buy at the drug store ... these are all built around the predictable placement of the Sun in the Zodiac during a certain time.
Lots of people, even those who say they don't believe in astrology, know their Sun Sign. The Sun spends about a month in each sign, and unless you were "born on the cusp" -- on a day very near the point when the Sun moved from one sign to another, it's pretty easy to place you in one of the categories based only on your birthday. That Zodiac sign -- the one you name when someone asks, "What's your sign?" is your Sun Sign.
You have a Moon Sign
The Moon travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac, too, but she moves a whole lot faster than The Sun. The Moon makes the complete circle of the Zodiac every month -- and spends only about 2 1/2 days in each sign. So for 2 1/2 days each month -- around the time of the New Moon -- the Sun and The Moon are in the same Zodiac sign.
If you were born during that small window of time, your Sun Sign and your Moon Sign will be the same Zodiac sign. Otherwise, your Moon Sign is completely different and completely independent of your Sun Sign. It is for most people. After all, there are 27 1/2 days in a month when the Sun is in one sign ... and the Moon is somewhere else.
* Your Sun Sign, Moon Sign and Ascendant Sign
It's impossible to know your Moon Sign without access to an astrological calendar for the year you were born ... or an emphemeris for that year ... or a computer program that will calculate your horoscope ... or a website that provides a chart service ... or an astrologer who can figure this all out for you and tell you what your Moon Sign is ... the sign The Moon was in at the time you were born.
Your Sun Sign (and other features involving your Sun's placement in your horoscope) gives information about one essential part of your personality -- your core identity, your self-image, your essential being. Your Moon Sign (and other features involving your Moon's placement in your horoscope) gives information about another essential part of your personality -- your inner self, your feelings and emotions, your memories and connections to the past.
Even if they're in the same sign,
they're not the same thing
Both placements are important, but they are not the same. Together they begin to fill out a more complex and dimensional portrait of you than either provides on its own. Besides The Sun and The Moon, there are eight other planet placements in your horoscope ... and the same thing can be said of them.
Together they all provide a full-featured description of who you are as a unique spiritual being with talents to develop and challenges to work with in this life. Even more important, they give a priceless description of who you were designed to be ... and how you were designed to operate ... that can be extremely useful in helping you claim your rightful destiny ... or getting back on track if somehow you've lost your way.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Sun in Astrology
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
The Moon in Astrology
* Moon Magic ---> Secrets and mysteries ---> The Moon has a mystique all its own. It is often associated with secrecy and mystery ... and is associated with strange, uncanny powers. It evokes a peculiar range of responses in cultures everywhere, from curiosity and wonder, to romance and affection, to awe and dread. In legend (and the lore of police and hospital personnel), the Full Moon brings forth weird behaviors, extreme reactions, and over-the-top ....
* The Moon -- Ruler of Cancer ---> One of the most important components in your horoscope ---> The Moon, silvery, mysterious and reflective, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's inner, feeling-based personality. Along with the Sun and the Ascendant (or Rising Sign -- the sign that was literally rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth, the Moon is one of the three most significant components in a horoscope ....
Sun and Moon
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky....
* You, Your Moon, Your Moon Sign -- in Natal Astrology ---> The Co-star in your horoscope ---> The Moon's Sign and House position give just as much valid information about a person's character as the Sun Sign. In fact, in some people, the Moon information is even more revealing and important. Pop culture relies on Sun Sign astrology though for its material because the Sun is the easiest point to determine in a person's individual constellations ....
Related to the Moon
* A Day with No Lunar Aspects -- Not quite one thing ... not quite another ---> First things first ---> To understand this article, you may need a little bit of background. First of all ... do you know about the Void-of-Course Moon? If so, great. Skip down and read on. If not, take a minute or two (honest, that's all you'll need) to read about it. However, you'll do yourself a favor if you really learn about the v/c Moon ... benefits way beyond the limits of this article.
Moon in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
The Sun in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
The Sun & Moon
Serenity by Starlight
is Serenity's Astrology Blog