You have a Sun Sign
Your Sun sign is the Zodiac sign the Sun was traveling through at the time you were born. There are twelve signs in the Zodiac, starting with Aries and ending with Pisces. When you arrived in the world The Sun was in one of them.
The "signs" are pretty familiar to many people because "astrology" as presented by the mainstream ... the daily horoscope in the newspaper, the little scrolls you buy from vending machines, the paperback books on "your sign" you can buy at the drug store ... these are all built around the predictable placement of the Sun in the Zodiac during a certain time.
Lots of people, even those who say they don't believe in astrology, know their Sun Sign. The Sun spends about a month in each sign, and unless you were "born on the cusp" -- on a day very near the point when the Sun moved from one sign to another, it's pretty easy to place you in one of the categories based only on your birthday. That Zodiac sign -- the one you name when someone asks, "What's your sign?" is your Sun Sign.
You have a Moon Sign
The Moon travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac, too, but she moves a whole lot faster than The Sun. The Moon makes the complete circle of the Zodiac every month -- and spends only about 2 1/2 days in each sign. So for 2 1/2 days each month -- around the time of the New Moon -- the Sun and The Moon are in the same Zodiac sign.
If you were born during that small window of time, your Sun Sign and your Moon Sign will be the same Zodiac sign. Otherwise, your Moon Sign is completely different and completely independent of your Sun Sign. It is for most people. After all, there are 27 1/2 days in a month when the Sun is in one sign ... and the Moon is somewhere else.
It's impossible to know your Moon Sign without access to an astrological calendar for the year you were born ... or an emphemeris for that year ... or a computer program that will calculate your horoscope ... or a website that provides a chart service ... or an astrologer who can figure this all out for you and tell you what your Moon Sign is ... the sign The Moon was in at the time you were born.
Your Sun Sign (and other features involving your Sun's placement in your horoscope) gives information about one essential part of your personality -- your core identity, your self-image, your essential being. Your Moon Sign (and other features involving your Moon's placement in your horoscope) gives information about another essential part of your personality -- your inner self, your feelings and emotions, your memories and connections to the past.
Even if they're in the same sign,
they're not the same thing
Both placements are important, but they are not the same. Together they begin to fill out a more complex and dimensional portrait of you than either provides on its own. Besides The Sun and The Moon, there are eight other planet placements in your horoscope ... and the same thing can be said of them.
Together they all provide a full-featured description of who you are as a unique spiritual being with talents to develop and challenges to work with in this life. Even more important, they give a priceless description of who you were designed to be ... and how you were designed to operate ... that can be extremely useful in helping you claim your rightful destiny ... or getting back on track if somehow you've lost your way.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Sun in Astrology
Basic Stuff About The Sun ---> The Sun is the center of ... well, everything ---> * The Sun is the center of our Solar System. It is the only actual star in your horoscope. Eight of the other celestial elements are planets and the Moon is a satellite of Earth.
Quick Notes on the Sun -- It gives you the basics -- and saves a lot of time ---> The center of it all ---> Just as the Sun is the center of our Solar System, the Sun in your horoscope is technically the most important element there, although in reality -- and in practice -- there are a number of qualifications on this point.
* What Does The Sun Represent -- in Your Natal Chart? -- What is it ... and why is it important? ---> The center of everything ---> The Sun is the unmistakable center of our Solar System. Likewise, the Sun is your horoscope, with its sign placement and house position, describes the core essence of your character..
* The Sun in General -- Your Essential Self of Power, Will, Vitality and Ambition ---> The essence of you -- In Astrology, The Sun represents your basic core identity. It gives information about the qualities of your ego, your individual self-expression, your self-image and your sense of personal identity.
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
* The Sun in Astrology -- The Central Star in the Horoscope -- Its Meaning and Significance ---> The central player -- A simple and very general way of working with Astrology centers on the fact that the Sun is the central feature of a horoscope.
The Moon in Astrology
* The Moon in General -- Your Inner Self of Feelings, Emotions and Intuition ---> Welcome to your inner world ---> In Astrology, The Moon represents our inner feelings, our emotions ... and our deep security needs. It reflects our basic habits, instincts and automatic reactions. It speaks to some elements of our Karma and childhood home, our upbringing, family background and specifically our relationship with our mother ...
* The Moon -- What Does It Mean in Astrology? ---> The fastest traveler in the chart ---> The Moon changes signs about every 2 1/2 days ... so it's impossible in many cases to know your Moon sign without a correct birth time ... and access to some of the materials you need to cast your Natal Chart. A good astrologer, of course, or a decent computer program can do that for you if you can provide the right information.
* What Does the Moon Represent -- in Your Natal Chart -- What is it ... and why is it important? ---> The Sun / The Moon ---> What's the difference? ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your essential self -- the outer personality you present to the world and to most people who know you. But The Sun represents only one member of a whole family of inner selves, although, yes, it's a very important one.
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative.
Basic Stuff About the Moon ---> Reflections of your inner world ---> * Every month the Moon travels through all twelve Zodiac signs. It completes its circuit every 27.3 days staying in each sign just under 2 1/2 days. * The Moon rules Cancer, one of the emotional, intuitive Water signs.
* Your Sun Sign, Moon Sign and Ascendant Sign -- Just What's Going On Here? ---> Three ways of defining you ... ---> The short answer to this question is: Your Sun sign tells about your basic ego, your Moon sign tells about you emotional inner self, and your Ascendant tells about your outer presentation to the rest of the world.
The Luminaries in Astrology
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers -- The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky and two of the most commanding points of information in a horoscope.
The Sun in Astrology -- Articles Index
Born with the Sun in ... Articles Index
Sun Sign in Astrology -- Articles Index