The Zodiac signs rise in the East
just like the Sun
So ... what IS a "Rising Sign?"
The Ascendant of a Natal Chart is also called the "Rising Sign." Astrologers use the two terms interchangeably. It is literally the sign that was rising on the Eastern horizon of the sky at the time you were born in the place where you were born. This is why it is essential to have both a birthplace and a birth time in order to cast a completely valid horoscope.
All twelve signs of the Zodiac rotate across the sky in the course of a day. Therefore the sign that is ascending -- literally "rising" -- on the eastern horizon changes every two hours. And your Rising Sign ... or Ascendant Sign ... depends on the exact time you were born!
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Your Rising Sign &
The Houses of the Horoscope
* Your Sun Sign, Moon Sign and Ascendant Sign -- Just What's Going On Here? ---> Three ways of defining you ... ---> The short answer to this question is: Your Sun sign tells about your basic ego, your Moon sign tells about you emotional inner self, and your Ascendant tells about your outer presentation to the rest of the world. If you want to know more ... read on: There are three main components an astrologer considers in developing a quick thumbnail sketch of your personality.
The Houses of the Horoscope -- What life areas do your Natal Chart Houses rule? ---> Defining the Departments of Life ---> 1st House = Personal presentation, the way you "come across" to the world, things you personally embody, stand for or promote; interests, traits and attitudes that define you; who you tell the world you are
Your Horoscope's First House -- Associated with Aries and Mars ---> Powerful like Aries / Assertive like Mars ---> Aries -- and its ruler, the planet Mars -- are associated with the first house of the Natural Horoscope. Thus the first house in any horoscope, regardless of its cusp sign or planet placements, carry some of the power, initiative, force and importance of the sign Aries ... and the self-assertion and energy of Mars.
The Sun & Moon in Astrology
* The Moon -- What Does It Mean in Astrology? ---> The fastest traveler in the chart ---> The Moon changes signs about every 2 1/2 days ... so it's impossible in many cases to know your Moon sign without a correct birth time ... and access to some of the materials you need to cast your Natal Chart. A good astrologer, of course, or a decent computer program can do that for you if you can provide the right information.
* The Sun in Astrology -- The Central Star in the Horoscope -- Its Meaning and Significance ---> The central player ---> A simple and very general way of working with Astrology centers on the fact that the Sun is the central feature of a horoscope. There is a whole industry of mainstream astrology built around this idea, from the little three line "daily horoscopes" in newspapers and magazines to the little dime-store booklets that purport to "tell you more" about who you are, using your Sun sign characteristics as the basis of their information.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky and two of the most commanding points of information in a horoscope.