To an astrologer, Fire, Earth, Air, and Water are called the Elements or Triplicities - as each contains three signs of the Zodiac. Traditionally, members of the same triplicity tend to get along well with one another. (There are also the Qualities ... or the Quadruplicities: Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable ... whose members tend to have "problems" with one another. But that's the subject of a future article.)
The Fire signs are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius. The Earth signs are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. The Air signs are Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. The Water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces.
Fire and Air Signs
Fire signs and Air signs are considered masculine, positive, assertive, active, outgoing, and motivating. They tend to do things, stir things up, take action, go after what they want, make things happen, initiate situations ... rather than waiting for opportunity to find them and start banging on the door. These signs - in their uncorrupted form - are self-motivating, even aggressive in their approach to life.
Earth and Water Signs
Earth signs and Water signs are considered feminine, passive, reactive, receptive, introverted, and enduring. They attract experiences and "take advantage of opportunities" rather than creating circumstances independently. Though capable of acting forcefully, they often prefer to "wait and see what happens" before making any moves.
They prefer to work with and build on the raw materials at hand rather than exploring new horizons or conquering new situations. Their strength often lies in their ability to sustain themselves - rather than promote themselves, or call on their alliances- and they prefer passive aggression and passive resistance to the conflict and direct confrontation preferred by the Fire and Air signs.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Elements and Gender in Astrology -- Different Ways of Engaging the World ---> The Triplicities -- To an astrologer, Fire, Earth, Air, and Water are called the Elements or Triplicities - as each contains three signs of the Zodiac. Traditionally, members of the same triplicity tend to get along well with one another.
* The Elements in Astrology -- Fire, Earth, Air and Water ---> There are four elements in astrology ... and in the other mystical / metaphysical traditions. These are fire, earth, air and water. They are the elements of physical existence ... the primary elements of life itself. We all need these things to exist in the material world.
* Masculine Signs / Feminine Signs -- It has nothing to do with sex ---> Two orientations on the world -- In Astrology and metaphysics, Masculine and Feminine refers not to gender or personal manner, but to one's basic orientation on the world and one's preferred strategies for dealing with problems. Essentially, "masculine" signs prefer to seize the moment, make things happen and change what doesn't suit them with their actions and choices. Feminine signs take a more subtle, passive approach when dealing with challenge or working for change.
* Masculine Signs -- The Fire and Air Signs ---> Signs of Life and Intellect -- Essentially, "masculine" signs prefer to seize the moment, make things happen and change what doesn't suit them with their actions and choices. Masculine sign people are life's movers-and-shakers. Masculine signs are active, spontaneous, overtly ambitious and more interested in imposing their will on the world than adjusting to what exists. Masculine signs deal with force, identity and intellect.
* Feminine Signs -- The Earth and Water Signs ---> Signs of Practicality and Emotion -- Where masculine signs are dynamic, self-motivating and proactive, feminine signs take a more subtle, passive approach when dealing with challenge or working for change. Masculine sign people are life's movers-and-shakers, while feminine signs prefer to be patient, bide their time and "wait and see what happens" before spending energy and resources to make life bend to their will.
Earth, Wind and Fire ... and Water -- Compatibility in the Zodiac ---> An Introduction -- Every astrologer hears the question: What signs am I compatible with? The person asking wants a list of three or four answers they can count on ... often to solve problems much larger than just a cluster of incompatible associates.
The Fire Signs -- Aries, Leo, Sagittarius ---> Fire Signs get things done -- The Fire Signs: Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius represent energy that is directly involved with action, leadership, personal charisma, and self-expression. These signs are self-confident, dramatic, self-promoting, exuberant, vivacious, and captivating.
The Earth Signs -- Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn ---> Earth Signs take care of practicalities --
The Earth Signs: Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn represent energy that is directly concerned with practical issues, physical substance, financial matters, and the "business" of living. This energy supports, nourishes, stabilizes, and promotes growth - especially growth on investments.
The Air Signs -- Gemini, Libra, Aquarius ---> Air Signs handle information -- The Air Signs: Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius represent energy that is directly concerned with ideas, information, intellect, opinions, facts, perspectives and communications skills. They relate to others intellectually, share thoughts and experiences, listen to feedback, and combine information into new ideas and possibilities.
Water Signs -- Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces ---> Water Signs are emotional -- The Water Signs: Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces represent emotional, instinctive, and subconscious energy that is nurturing, healing, and transformative. They are feeling, sensitive, intuitive, responsive, protective, and passionate.
The Elements in Astrology -- Articles Index