* After Venus, Mars is the next closest planet to Earth. It is located between Earth and Jupiter. It is the fourth planet from the Sun.
* Mars takes about 2 years to complete its circle through the Zodiac. It stays in each sign about 6 weeks, but it retrogrades once every two years. That retrograde cycle can keep it in a single sign for up to six months -- or, of course, it can divide its retrograde path between two different signs.
* Mars retrograde is a time of doing work over, work you've already done once ... and thought was over and done with. But when Mars retrogrades, you discover you want something different, or stronger or more extensive. So you haul out your tools and get started.
* Starting with Mars, the planets can be in any sign of the Zodiac. They are not dependent on the position of the Sun itself, unlike Mercury and Venus who both remain in very close proximity to the Sun in your horoscope. Mercury is never more than one sign away from the Sun, Venus never more than two. So once you locate the Sun in your horoscope, Mercury and Venus are easy to find.
More About Mars
* Mars rules Aries, the first sign of the Natural Zodiac. It is also associated with the 1st House of the horoscope -- the house of the horoscope that begins with the Ascendant -- the position in the Zodiac where the Sun rises each day. The first house deals with personal presentation and self-assertion.
* Mars is known as The Red Planet -- and as a star it seems to glow a reddish color in the sky. The red comes from the iron oxide that makes up most of the surface of Mars ... which means Mars is basically rusty. It is also a favorite feature in science fiction as a possible host to alien forms of life.
* In the physical body, Mars rules the head and the skull.
* Just as Venus is essentially pure feminine energy, Mars is essentially considered pure masculine energy. It gives information in your horoscope and therefore your personality about how you can and do use this fundamental force. Everyone has this; everyone needs this. Everyone needs to also understand how it works -- so they can gain the benefits they deserve and require.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Mars is the ruler of Aries
* Born with the Sun in Aries -- The Aries Character ---> Aries is the Spring Fire Sign ---> Direct and to the point ---> Passion is never a problem for Aries. Nor is self-assertion. Nor is being downright pushy and tromping on toes if that gets a job done. Aries is long on initiative and ambition, notoriously short on tact -- and few will apologize for that. Whoever first said, "Lead, follow or get out of the way," was an Aries through and through.
* The New Moon in Aries -- Aries Energy in the Creative Process ---> The place of new beginnings ---> With the arrival of Aries we have indeed arrived again at the place of our beginnings, having traveled another cycle on the spiral of the creative process ... from the initial thrust of new efforts and undertakings in dynamic, assertive Aries last year to the spiritual enlightenment, dissolution, acceptance, and release of Pisces last month.
Mars in Astrology -- Articles Index
Serenity by Starlight
is Serenity Chappell's Astrology Blog