Mercury Retrograde is an optical illusion
* Mercury Retrograde is an optical illusion caused by our perspective from Earth, the fact that both Mercury and Earth are in motion orbiting the Sun, and the fact that Mercury moves faster. Mercury is not really reversing course but it appears to be.
That's really all you need to know. If you can just accept that and move on, great. If not, do some research. Use the internet. It's full of answers.
* Mercury Retrograde is an astrological / physical / metaphysical phenomenon associated with periods during the year when technology goes awry, communications get scrambled, traffic gets snarled and congested (more than usual), travel plans change -- or get disrupted ... and turn into a general hassle (That's fine. I hate traveling!) and information is not reliable.
Mercury Retrograde isn't the end of the world
* Mainstream news and conventional wisdom make Mercury Retrograde a lot more intimidating than it is ... or than it should be. It's not the end of the world. It happens a lot -- 3 or 4 times a year. You've lived through it a lot. Chances are you'll live through the next one. But Mercury Retrograde can be annoying -- and inconvenient. I'll grant you that.
* Mostly Mercury Retrograde is a convenient scapegoat for when people get delayed, deliveries miss their schedule, misunderstandings occur, your email -- or lovingly written, carefully polished document -- vanishes into the ether, you get a flat tire ... or your computer crashes ... expensively. Yes, these things happen when Mercury isn't retrograde, but they happen lots more often when he is.
Mercury Retrograde is both simpler and
more complicated than its reputation suggests
Believe me or not. I'm not here to persuade you. I've learned ways to deal with Mercury Retrograde that work for me. You can either learn ... and hopefully implement ... some of the advice you find here. Or you can carry on as usual. Your choice. It always is. And Mercury Retrograde has absolutely no influence whatsoever on that.
* There's a "shadow-mode" associated with Mercury Retrograde that extends its influence -- and may account for some of those times when "Mercury Retrograde things" happen when Mercury isn't actually retrograde.
This shadow-mode begins from the time Mercury first crosses the degree of the Zodiac it will retreat back to during retrograde and lasts until it passes the degree where it turned retrograde ... once it finally goes direct again.
I know that sounds confusing, but it's pretty simple. Think of it this way: Mercury Retrograde's "effect" begins about two weeks before it actually turns retrograde ... and lasts about three weeks after it turns direct. This anticipation and lag-time is Mercury Retrograde's shadow.
Mercury Retrograde -- you'll survive
* So ... to survive this little dip in the road, back up your data. (Do this. Don't even think twice. Do this. Srsly.) Give yourself more time to get places -- and get things done. Expect problems. Do what you can to prevent or allow for them. Double check everything.
* Keep your sense of humor. Look for the message within the message. Let Mercury Retrograde do its thing. Know you'll get through it. Stay calm. Don't let the media hype -- or Mercury Retrograde's well-deserved reputation as a trouble-maker -- get to you.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Mercury in Astrology
* Mercury -- Ruler of Gemini -- Ruler of Virgo ---> Yellow is a Mercury color! ---> The metaphor for your mind ---> Mercury, quick, intense, lively and highly mobile -- racing its way around the Sun faster than any of the other known planets, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's mental and communications skills
Mercury -- Physics, Metaphysics and Myth -- Part 1 ---> Physics ---> Mercury is the closest planet in our Solar System to the Sun. It is about twice the size of Pluto, but for now, it's the smallest official planet since scientists decided to mess around and demote Pluto down to "dwarf planet" status ... for a while. We'll what the future brings. Mercury is also classified as a "terrestrial planet," meaning it's made of solid rock and dust, etc. In structure, it is the most similar planet to Earth.
When Mercury Leads the Sun -- Mercury passes and moves out -- in front of the Sun ---> Yellow is a Mercury color. ---> Racing ahead, out in front like he ought to ---> When Mercury leads the Sun, your intellectual shift moves gradually out of the pensive, reflective, "planning mode" you've occupied for the past several weeks, and you're ready to talk, write, and share ideas openly and freely again with "strangers."
When Mercury Trails the Sun -- Mercury retrograde moves behind the Sun ---> Yellow is a Mercury color. ---> Quiet time ---> In the next few weeks you'll become more contemplative, spend more time in planning and research, quietly consider what you've learned recently ... and what you want to do next with yourself, your life, your interests, and your mind. With Mercury in a trailing position, you will be more observant and less talkative, more intuitive ...
From the Blogs, Ezines
Mercury Retrograde -- From Everyday Astrology ---> Everyday Astrology October 14, 2020 Mercury Retrograde ---> Retrograde motion is a phenomenon in both Astrology and Astronomy. It's an optical illusion based on our perspective here on Earth to the other planets as they continue their various journeys in orbit around the Sun. You can read more about that here.
Mercury Retrograde -- From the Blogs, Ezines & Elsewhere -- Selection 1 ---> Mercury Retrograde Entries from Everyday Astrology Selection 1 ---> Mercury has turned retrograde in Leo. It will travel back into Cancer on July 18, turn direct again on July 31 and return to Leo (direct) on August 11, It will affect the areas of life covered by 24° Cancer to 4° in your Natal Chart, Where are those?
Mercury Retrograde -- From the Blogs, Ezines & Elsewhere -- Selection 2 ---> Mercury Retrograde Entries from Everyday Astrology Selection 2 ---> Mercury Retrograde has a reputation. Even people who aren't into Astrology know the term. And while it's around, they become "believers." Probably because it's useful. It explains, excuses, rationalizes why things go wrong.
Light Reading & Open Articles
Basic Stuff About Mercury Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde -- A Personal Perspective
The Positive Side of Mercury Retrograde
Mercury in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
* Mercury in General
Quick Notes on Mercury
Basic Stuff About Mercury in Astrology
Learn more about Mercury in Astrology
These are the index pages to all our articles
on this topic.
Mercury in Astrology -- Articles Index
Mercury Retrograde -- Articles Index