* Mercury occupies the innermost orbit of any other planet in our Solar System. Relative to Earth it is located on the other side of Venus. Mercury is the planet closest to the Sun.
* Mercury moves completely through the Zodiac in about a year, but his progression through the signs is very irregular. He goes into retrograde three to four times a year. When he's traveling direct, he stays in a sign about two weeks. But when his retrograde cycle kicks in, he can be in a sign for over two months.
* Mercury has more retrograde cycles per year than any other planet, but his actual retrograde time is comparatively short -- about three weeks from turning retrograde back to direct.
* Mercury is never more than 28° from the Sun. This means it will always be very close to the Sun in a horoscope. It will be either in the same Zodiac sign as the Sun or in the sign immediately before or after.
* Mercury rules two signs -- Gemini and Virgo. It is also associated with the 3rd and 6th Houses of the horoscope -- the houses that deal with the acquisition and practical application of knowledge.
* In Astrology, Mercury represents the Inner Self who takes in and makes use of knowledge. He therefore is your ability to learn, reason and communicate. He shows how you are able to form ideas and the general themes and attitudes those ideas will express.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Mercury in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Quick Notes on Mercury -- It gives you the basics -- and saves a lot of time ---> Mercury ... and duality ---> * Mercury is the closest known planet to the Sun in our Solar System. It is never more than about 28° away from the Sun, which means it is always very close to the Sun in your horoscope and is often found in the same sign as the Sun. * Mercury rules two Zodiac signs -- Gemini and Virgo.
Air Planet / Earth Sign -- Earth Planet / Earth Sign -- The Mercury in Taurus Conundrum ---> Mercury in Taurus is in one way an air planet in an earth sign ... and in another way an earth planet in an earth sign. One way works a little better than the other. Mercury as an air planet -- ruler of Gemini -- is a bit too cerebral and abstract in its approach to reality to suit the tastes of ultra-pragmatic Taurus.
Mercury in Astrology
When Mercury Trails the Sun -- Mercury retrograde moves behind the Sun ---> In the next few weeks you'll become more contemplative, spend more time in planning and research, quietly consider what you've learned recently ... and what you want to do next with yourself, your life, your interests, and your mind.
When Mercury Leads the Sun -- Mercury passes and moves out -- in front of the Sun ---> Yellow is a Mercury color. ---> Racing ahead, out in front like he ought to ---> When Mercury leads the Sun, your intellectual shift moves gradually out of the pensive, reflective, "planning mode" you've occupied for the past several weeks, and you're ready to talk, write, and share ideas openly and freely again with "strangers."
* Mercury and the Miracle of the Mind -- Astrology's Search for Intelligent Life ---> As an Astrologer I see both the mundaneness of common knowledge -- handling the basic facts of awareness and everyday rituals -- and a touch of miracles in Mercury.
The Sun in Astrology
Basic Stuff About The Sun ---> The Sun is the center of ... well, everything ---> * The Sun is the center of our Solar System. It is the only actual star in your horoscope. Eight of the other celestial elements are planets and the Moon is a satellite of Earth. * The Sun is also considered the center of your horoscope. It defines your basic character -- which is why Sun Sign Astrology is so popular. It's close enough to be generally accurate and the Sun's position ...
Quick Notes on the Sun -- It gives you the basics -- and saves a lot of time ---> The center of it all ---> Just as the Sun is the center of our Solar System, the Sun in your horoscope is technically the most important element there, although in reality -- and in practice -- there are a number of qualifications on this point.
The Sun in Astrology: A Sampler -- Excerpts from our open articles -- on the Sun in Astrology ---> Samples from our open Sun articles ---> Lots of people, even those who say they don't believe in astrology, know their Sun Sign. The Sun spends about a month in each sign, and unless you were "born on the cusp" -- on a day very near the point when the Sun moved from one sign to another, it's pretty easy to place you in one of the categories based only on your birthday.
Your Natal Sun -- The starting point for self-understanding ---> It's who you are ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your Essential Being. Its location shows a place of power in your Natal Chart. Its sign position, house location and aspect support or interference reveals a wealth of information about your ability to realize your ambitions and have an impact on the world.
Sun & Mercury