In Astrology, Mercury symbolizes the conscious mind, personal intellect, and your mental capacities and communications skills. It represents the personality `components that deal with learning, data gathering, informational exchange and the handling and applications of knowledge. Mercury deals with critical judgment and logic, discrimination and analysis.
On a mundane level, Mercury also represents mobility and travel. And on a personal level it gives information about interpersonal understanding and communication, comprehension, and your ability to make rational, informed choices and decisions.
Mercury is always found in either the same sign as the Sun, or the sign before or the sign after. When it is in direct motion, Mercury zips through a sign in a little over two weeks. But it slows down, stalls, and retrogrades so often (as many as three times a year -- far more often than any other planet) that its path can hardly be considered predictable or regular.
The beginning of Spring
Aries' energy in the creative process represents the pioneering thrust, the brave new beginnings, the dynamic first steps, the decision to take concrete action followed by the first phases of progress -- stepping out into the world, making the first strokes on the blank canvas, declaring intention ... and acting on that announcement.
Aries energy takes the quiet contemplation and inspiration of Pisces energy ... and makes something real from the vision. This is the energy of the creative seed bursting open, pushing its first green shoots out of the ground, and achieving a preliminary, recognizable, physical form.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Mercury in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Mercury in Astrology
* Mercury -- Ruler of Gemini -- Ruler of Virgo ---> Yellow is a Mercury color! ---> The metaphor for your mind ---> Mercury, quick, intense, lively and highly mobile -- racing its way around the Sun faster than any of the other known planets, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's mental and communications skills, the intellectual components of his personality, the inner self that deals with physical movement, informational exchange, discrimination, learning and analysis.
* Mercury: Symbol of Your Intellectual Self ---> Yellow is a Mercury color ---> Your mind, intellectual energy & assets ---> Mercury in Astrology is the symbol for your conscious mind with its amazing array of accessories and gifts. That's the short answer to the question, "What does Mercury represent?" ... because the Sun, Moon & all the known planets have distinct meanings in Astrology. But like most quick short answers, this one is incomplete. Mercury doesn't just symbolize your mind ....
Mercury Retrograde -- A Personal Perspective -- Rethinking Life's Regular Reversals ---> Changes in latitude ... ---> Over the years -- somewhere without my realizing it -- my attitude toward Mercury retrograde has changed. Dramatically.
Mercury in Astrology
From the Blogs, Ezines
From EDA: Mercury -- From Everyday Astrology ---> Everyday Astrology December 9, 2020 Mercury ---> I went looking tonight to see what I'd written on the planet Mercury for this feature. (Never mind why. I just did.) Turns out the answer is "not much," so let's correct that. The Sun and the Moon get plenty of attention, & Mercury is just as important. All the planets are, actually. Each one is significant & deserves his time in the spotlight. I declare tonight, it's Mercury's turn.
From EDA: Mercury Retrograde -- From Everyday Astrology ---> Everyday Astrology February 2, 2021 Mercury Retrograde ---> All the planets in a traditional horoscope have a retrograde cycle, an optical illusion from the perspective of Earth when the planet seems to reverse course & for a while, move in the other direction than its usual path. Mercury retrogrades more often than any other planet -- usually three times a year for about three weeks at a time. It happens so often & the effects are so notorious, the phrase is in the common lexicon.
From EDA: Mercury Direct ---> Everyday Astrology November 20, 2019 Mercury Direct in Scorpio ---> When Mercury is retrograde, news arrives that will change your plans and perspectives. You revisit and often revise your intentions ... because the mix of life itself is shifting, and you have to wrap your mind around these different facts and possibilities. It's not over the top to say you understand reality differently. That's the purpose of Mercury retrograde. Kind of a fruit-basket-turnover of how you perceive yourself and your choices.
More Mercury in Astrology
From the Blogs, Ezines
When Mercury Leads the Sun -- Mercury passes and moves out -- in front of the Sun ---> Yellow is a Mercury color. ---> Racing ahead, out in front like he ought to ---> When Mercury leads the Sun, your intellectual shift moves gradually out of the pensive, reflective, "planning mode" you've occupied for the past several weeks, and you're ready to talk, write, and share ideas openly and freely again with "strangers." This is the stage in the intellectual cycle where you consult with others, gather in new information ....
When Mercury Trails the Sun -- Mercury retrograde moves behind the Sun ---> Yellow is a Mercury color. ---> Quiet time ---> In the next few weeks you'll become more contemplative, spend more time in planning and research, quietly consider what you've learned recently ... and what you want to do next with yourself, your life, your interests, and your mind. With Mercury in a trailing position, you will be more observant and less talkative, more intuitive and less expressive ....
* Mercury ... and the Miracle of the Mind -- Astrology's Search for Intelligent Life ---> Yellow is a Mercury color! ---> Your mind makes you special ---> As an Astrologer I see both the mundaneness of common knowledge -- handling the basic facts of awareness and everyday rituals -- and a touch of miracles in Mercury. In Astrology, this planet named for the winged messenger of the gods represents your conscious human mind, the part of you that makes you a member of the most intelligent species on the planet, the part of you that makes you human -- and sometimes fallible.
Aries in Astrology
* Aries -- The Interests and Attitudes -- of the 1st Zodiac Sign ---> Aries is a Fire Sign -- Red is an Aries color ---> Aries Provocative, strong, hard-driving, commanding ambitious, zealous, venturesome, brave, take-charge ---> Aries contains a set of attitudes and perspectives that are closely aligned with the interests of Mars and the Natural 1st House. As the Sun (or any planet for that matter) transits Aries, all these basically merge and come up for for attention. You'll see them in your views, opinions and behavior, in the attitudes and concerns of the people around you. You see them in the situations you deal with --
* 5 Things to Know About Aries -- Dealing with the Zodiac's Pushiest Sign ---> There are twelve signs in the Zodiac. Of these, Aries is the first. Number One. Any Aries will tell you there are good and obvious reasons for that. Moreover he's brave enough to say this out loud in front of Leos and Capricorns. He may have a point, but this tells you some things about Aries. He's confident, courageous and candid. He also thinks well of himself. And if you stick around long enough to get to know him, he'll back up his words with actions -- every day. Eventually, he may even prove he spoke an honest fact.
* Aries: Spotlight on Speed ---> Get going ... or get out of the way ---> More than any other sign in the Zodiac, Aries is known for initiative and impatience. You might say it has an obsession with speed ... progress ... getting things started and getting things done. Nothing ever moves or happens fast enough to suit it. It knows how to take aim at its ambitions, make decisions ... and make tracks. It is legendary for its quick responses -- its habit of making snap judgments, forming instant likes and dislikes, trusting its impulses and having the courage to get it where it wants to go. It doesn't need a
Also about Aries
* Celebrating Aries -- The 5 most distinctive / admirable traits of the sign ---> Perspective ---> Their remarkable drive and enterprise. Aries citizens are always doing something. Sometimes it takes physical movement. Sometimes their projects and plans take place mostly in their minds. Either way they are "in motion" somewhere. To Aries life is a place to have impact, a thing to manage ... and they revel at the prospect. Arians hate to sit around doing nothing. They are easily bored and they can't stand a feeling of stagnation. If there is any way they can make progress, change something or set events in motion
* Conscious Living with Aries -- When The Sun travels through -- the Aries sector in your chart ---> Where is Aries in your chart?Aries is the Spring Fire Sign. ---> When the Sun travels through Aries what area does it cover in your Natal Chart? What house(s) are involved in this particular slice of the sky? And specifically, what house (or houses) in your Natal Chart have Aries on the cusp? These are areas of life where you feel unusual focus now, where you want to launch new projects and get life moving again after the long dormancy of winter ... and the somnolent moods of Pisces. Here you find the assertiveness, ambition and self-confidence you need to step out,
Gender, Quality & Element
* The Elemental Qualities of Aries -- The Cardinal Fire Sign in Astrology ---> Aries is a Fire Sign ---> The Fire Signs of the Zodiac are Aries, Leo and Sagittarius. There is one Fire Sign for each of the Qualities -- Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable. Aries is Cardinal Fire. Leo is Fixed Fire, and Sagittarius is Mutable Fire. Together, these three elements form the components in the pattern of the Grand Fire Trine. Fire element is the quality associated with leadership issues, ambitions based on personal charisma, a fondness for seizing the initiative when choosing to act, and a reputation for showing enthusiasm and even zealotry
* Aries is the Cardinal Fire Sign -- Dynamic Initiative ---> Aries' symbol is the ram. ---> Dynamic Initiative ---> Aries is the Cardinal Fire sign. His personality emphasizes leadership, personal charisma, individual vision, and having a strong sense of who he is and what he can do. Remember ... Fire sign people want to be admired, followed, appreciated, noticed, and deferred to. His likes to do things, stir up energy, get things started, seize the initiative, push inert circumstances into forward motion which will at least bring on change. He is dynamic, assertive, confrontational, aggressive and ....
Aries is Masculine / Yang Energy
Masculine Signs / Feminine Signs * -- It has nothing to do with sex ---> Two orientations on the world ---> In Astrology and metaphysics, Masculine and Feminine refers not to physical gender or personal manner, but to one's basic orientation on the world and one's preferred strategies for dealing with problems. Essentially, "masculine" signs prefer to seize the moment, make things happen and change what doesn't suit them with their actions and choices. Feminine signs take a more subtle, passive approach when dealing with challenge or working for change. Masculine sign people are life's movers-and-shakers, while
Masculine Signs * -- The Fire and Air Signs ---> Signs of Life and Intellect ---> Essentially, "masculine" signs prefer to seize the moment, make things happen and change what doesn't suit them with their actions and choices. Masculine sign people are life's movers-and-shakers. Masculine signs are active, spontaneous, overtly ambitious and more interested in imposing their will on the world than adjusting to what exists. Masculine signs deal with force, identity and intellect. Masculine signs show initiative, overt ambition and ability to conceptualize and communicate verbally. With a majority of planets in
Learn more about Aries in Astrology
These are the index pages to our articles
about Aries and the Sun in Aries.
Aries Articles Index
Sun in Aries Articles Index
Learn more about Mercury in Astrology
These are the index pages to our articles
on this topic.
Mercury in Astrology -- Articles Index
Mercury Retrograde -- Articles Index