Changes in latitude ...
Over the years -- somewhere without my realizing it -- my attitude toward Mercury retrograde has changed. Dramatically. Not being anything close to patient, I once watched the arrival of this moving-backward journey of the mind with dread and resentment.
It was a huge pothole in the path of my progress, and there was no way we were going to be friends. The delays, the screw-ups, the change of intentions, the misunderstandings, the break-downs ... each and all were designed specifically to annoy me and make life a living hell.
I'd go into hiding, glower at the haywire world and grit my teeth waiting for it all to end -- so I could get on with my life. I traveled as little as possible -- even on general errands. I made no plans. I turned off the phone.
My way of dealing with Mercury Retrograde was to pretend I was dead and wait for resurrection when life was safe again. I made myself miserable, and since that was nothing new, it felt like the only way to respond. Mercury and I had a very conditional friendship ... and it was all his fault. Three or four times a year, he went crazy ... and so did I.
Changes in attitude ...
But in the solitude and introspection of those dark days, magic happened. Life also works that way. And now Mercury's backtracking and side-trips no longer irritate me. In fact, I look at what he's up to ... and look forward to them. I prepare as much as possible for the changing season ... the same way I winterize the house or clean out stuff and get ready for summer.
I anticipate what could go wrong -- and fix it ... or strengthen it ... or service or replace it. I back up all my computer files and site-related business. By the time Mercury reverses direction, I'm as ready as I'll ever be ... and I wait to see what surprises he's devised.
My new strategies don't save me totally from distress ... or even outright disaster. But they do minimize the physical and psychological wear-and-tear that used to be part of the package. Life is more an integrated process now -- and Mercury Retrograde is a natural piece of it.
Nothing remains quite the same
I've learned to schedule regular chores and bits of maintenance and renovation for when Mercury in his wisdom declares ... "It's time." I've realized he is kind enough to give me notice -- and expect a certain kind of call, which is more than I can say for most of the people I've known.
I'll even admit Mercury and I are buddies again -- because going through life periodically at odds with your own mind is no way to live. Through the years, I've tried it both ways. Without a doubt, this one is better. I invite you to try it for yourself. Someday soon.
I predict you, too, can adjust. And rejoice.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
* Quick Notes on Mercury Retrograde ---> You might want to start here: Mercury Retrograde in Shadow-Mode ---> Time to reconsider ---> When Mercury turns retrograde, which it does about three times a year, it moves from the degree of the Zodiac where it stops before turning around (Astrologers call this piece of business "taking a station.") ....
* Don't Govern with Bad Intelligence -- Knowing what Mercury Retrograde Means -- And What It Means to You!! ---> One thing's for sure ... things will change ---> When Mercury is retrograde, it's hard to make reliable decisions. You may not have all the facts you need. The facts you do have may change ...
* Mercury Retrograde and Shadow-Mode ---> The real life truth of Mercury Retrograde ---> When Mercury turns retrograde (in any sign), look at the degrees of the Zodiac it will cover in its backward retreat. Mercury's "official" retrograde period lasts about three weeks if you go by the regular calendar, but objectively ....
* The Positive Side of Mercury Retrograde -- The Bright Side of a Pesky Problem ---> Every cloud has a silver lining ---> While the time of Mercury Retrograde can, indeed, seem like a pothole in the pathway of progress ... because of the confusion and "mis-communication" for which it is famous. It also has its constructive uses ... which, admittedly do take some effort to access.
Light Reading & Open Articles
Basic Stuff About Mercury Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde -- A Personal Perspective
The Positive Side of Mercury Retrograde
Mercury in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
* Mercury in General
Quick Notes on Mercury
Basic Stuff About Mercury in Astrology
Mercury in Astrology -- Articles Index
Mercury Retrograde Articles Index