In the territory of the mind
When Mercury is retrograde (Mercury Rx -- in shorthand), it is a time of rethinking, refocusing and re-communicating. In Astrology, Mercury represents your intellect; your mental focus; your mind and how you use its assets.
It describes your ability to read, write, study, talk, absorb information and learn new things. It describes your communication skills, your use of knowledge, your individual perspective. It also depicts your ability to be mobile, to move around -- physically and intellectually.
Intellectual energy in reverse
When Mercury goes retrograde, all these things "back up" to be reconsidered, redone, re-directed, re-aligned and used differently. You will re-think choices, absorb new knowledge, consider alternatives you've not used before, find new solutions to problems and better approaches to goals. Your thoughts turn "inward."
Mercury Retrograde, for all its aggravations -- and those can be serious -- is an exercise in thinking better by thinking differently ... breaking out of tunnel-vision into more creative possibilities. That's perhaps the best gift of this pesky little phenomenon. It also symbolizes experiences not nearly so charming.
Mercury retrograde in real life
I said earlier that as a symbol, Mercury represents intellect processes, logical and analytical thinking, communications issues, information and data gathering, conversation, all linguistic exchanges -- whether written or verbal, and travel.
When Mercury is Rx, these things become snarled and problematic. Decisions pending when Mercury goes Rx are reworked, re-thought, re-defined, and re-considered during the retrograde period. Complications arise; misunderstandings and miscommunications occur.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
* Don't Govern with Bad Intelligence -- Knowing what Mercury Retrograde Means -- And What It Means to You!! ---> One things for sure ... things will change -- When Mercury is retrograde, it's hard to make reliable decisions. You may not have all the facts you need.
* The Positive Side of Mercury Retrograde -- The Bright Side of a Pesky Problem ---> Every cloud has a silver lining -- While the time of Mercury Retrograde can, indeed, seem like a pothole in the pathway of progress ... because of the confusion and "mis-communication" for which it is famous.
* Mercury Retrograde and Shadow-Mode ---> The real life truth of Mercury Retrograde ---> When Mercury turns retrograde (in any sign), look at the degrees of the Zodiac it will cover in its backward retreat. Mercury's "official" retrograde period lasts about three weeks if you go by the regular calendar.
* This Thing Called Retrograde Motion -- What it means in plain English ---> What is this thing called retrograde motion? Wherever it's found, in the sky or in a horoscope, retrograde energy means the matters represented by the retrograde planet become more subjective as people re-think, re-consider ....
* Working with the Metaphors of Retrograde Energy ---> When a planet goes into retrograde -- or comes out again, it doesn't just stop on a dime and start racing at its usual speed in the opposite direction. It seems (from the vantage point of Earth) to slow down gradually as it approaches the point of reversal ....
Other Planets in Retrograde
Venus Retrograde -- Realigning Your Values and Assets ---> Reassessing things of value ... -- Venus represents your important relationships, your important values, and the way you handle the things you value, especially material resources like money and possessions you need to support yourself.
Jupiter Retrograde -- Expanding Your Latest Creation ---> Jupiter's interests -- Jupiter represents your philosophical beliefs and ethical principles. It describes your ability to share authoritative knowledge ... the wisdom you've gained both through academic study and through the simple experience of living.
Saturn Retrograde -- Rebuilding Your Personal Foundations ---> Delays ... get worse -- Saturn is notorious for signifying delays, and because under stress it also symbolizes limitation, restriction, and loss, many followers of astrology consider it their least favorite planet. But I think it gets a bad rap and lots of blame it really doesn't deserve.
Mercury in Astrology -- Articles Index
Mercury Retrograde Articles Index