Three names, three things
You've certainly heard the term New Moon applied to that part of the Moon's cycle when a small sliver of light appears in the western sky at dusk ... and gradually begins filling in over the next two weeks to reach the glorious display of the Full Moon before diminishing down to nothing again. Moon-watchers of all ages -- and maybe you are one -- enjoy this free celestial show every month.
If you've hung around much in metaphysical circles, maybe you've come across a couple of other terms that seem somehow hooked up with the New Moon in people's minds. One of those is the term Black Moon and the other is the term Dark Moon. They sound intriguing and mysterious, don't they? Well, let's shine a little of that special moonlight their way.
It's easy ... kind of
The Black Moon is easy to deal with. Well, sort of. It's most common definition is -- the second New Moon in a calendar month. It's the counterpart to a Blue Moon, which is the common name for the second Full Moon in a calendar month. In reality, things get a littler more complicated (Don't they always?) and you can learn more about the fine points, alternatives and distinctions of these by reading more here about the Black Moon and Blue Moon
For now, let's make this easy. The New Moon happens at least once a month. (Sometimes twice, but as I said ... let's keep this simple.) It forms when the Moon joins the Sun in the sky at the same degree and minute of arc in the Zodiac. This means there is a New Moon in every Zodiac sign throughout the year.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Get the information you need.
Discover the difference knowledge
and preparation can make in your life!
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Dark of the Moon
* The Dark of the Moon -- A time of magic and creation ---> A time of mystery and magic ---> The Dark of the Moon is considered an especially mysterious, fruitful, and flexible time of "molding" the creative experiences that will come forth in the weeks immediately ahead.
* Put Dark Moon Magic to Work -- For YOU!! ---> A time to restore and strengthen your spirit ---> The Dark of the Moon is considered an especially mysterious, fruitful, and flexible time of "molding" the creative experiences that will come forth in the weeks immediately ahead.
Defining the Dark of the Moon ---> Around the time of the New Moon ... ---> People know the difference between the New Moon and the Full Moon. We get one of each every month. They are part of everyday life. Some know those funny in-between stages have names and meanings, too.
More on the Dark of the Moon
* Feeling and Healing -- in the Dark of the Moon ---> Welcome to The Dark of the Moon ---> We all know the shifting shapes and different phases of the Moon as it travels through the sky every month -- from the sickle-shape of the Crescent Moon to the full round dinner plate magnificence of the Full Moon.
In the Dark of the Moon -- Where it all begins ---> Yeah, I know it's not the Dark of the Moon ---> but do you know how boring those pictures are? ---> Make a note ---> The Dark of the Moon is the segment of time that covers the three days surrounding the monthly appearance of the New Moon.
* Wishin' and Dreamin' in the Dark of the Moon -- When the dark nights invite us to turn inward ---> Three nights of darkness ---> To Astrologers, Wiccans and others, the Dark of the Moon is the term describing the period of about three days just before and after the New Moon every month.
The Moon in Astrology
What is a Blood Moon? ---> It's a total Lunar eclipse. That's it. ---> Every once in a while, weathermen on television and other media types get all hyped about something they call a Blood Moon. They act like it's something really rare and mysterious. It's not.
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index