Welcome to The Dark of the Moon
We all know the shifting shapes and different phases of the Moon as it travels through the sky every month -- from the sickle-shape of the Crescent Moon to the full round dinner plate magnificence of the Full Moon.
Those of us deeply aligned with the metaphysical world often wait deliberately for the arrival of the New Moon every month before we begin new projects -- to let the right kind of support and energy assemble.
A special time / a special energy
But there is a special time -- a special kind of energy -- that arrives every month in the 4 or 5 days surrounding the arrival of each sign's New Moon. This time is known as the Dark of the Moon -- when the final thin curve of light has disappeared from the left side of the Moon's surface and before the razor thin edge of the next New Moon appears again on the right.
As the very name of this phase describes, in the Dark of the Moon the Moon's surface is totally black -- and the Moon itself is invisible. From its position of near-total alignment with The Sun, it is lost in The Sun's mighty glare -- and from this position, no reflection that we here on Earth can see is possible. It's all focused on what we call the dark side of the moon.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Dark of the Moon
Light Reading & Open Articles
Defining the Dark of the Moon ---> Around the time of the New Moon ... ---> People know the difference between the New Moon and the Full Moon. We get one of each every month. They are part of everyday life. Some know those funny in-between stages have names and meanings, too. Less well known is something known as the Dark Moon -- or the Dark of the Moon -- which also happens every month in the 3 1/2 days surrounding the New Moon.
Dark Moon / New Moon ---> Moon phases ---> Moon phases. We all know they exist. Most people ignore them, except for an occasional glance to the sky. Some people know some of the names. New Moon, Crescent Moon, Half Moon, Gibbous Moon, Full Moon. Some fewer of us even know what they mean and how they bring a kind of natural order and regulation to life on Earth. Others are just proud they know as much as they do ....
The Dark of the Moon
* What is the Dark of the Moon? -- When the Night's Moon Fades to Black ---> When the night brings no moonlight at all -- The Dark of the Moon refers to that phase in the Moon's monthly cycle when the Sun and Moon are so closely aligned there is no reflected light from the Sun available to shine from the Moon's surface. The Moon, if you can see it at all -- it's way too close to the Sun, appears black and dead in the sky.
* Black Moon, Dark Moon, New Moon -- Ok, let's get this sorted out ---> Three names, three things ---> You've certainly heard the term New Moon applied to that part of the Moon's cycle when a small sliver of light appears in the western sky at dusk ... and gradually begins filling in over the next two weeks to reach the glorious display of the Full Moon before diminishing down to nothing again. Moon-watchers of all ages -- and maybe you are one -- enjoy this free celestial show every month.
* Wishin' and Dreamin' in the Dark of the Moon -- When the dark nights invite us to turn inward ---> Three nights of darkness ---> To Astrologers, Wiccans and others, the Dark of the Moon is the term describing the period of about three days just before and after the New Moon every month. It's the time when the final crescent of light fades on the left ... and before the thin crescent of the New Moon appears again on the right. It's what happens when The Moon is positioned so that from Earth we can see no reflected sunlight from it.
* In the Dark of the Moon -- Where it all begins ---> Yeah, I know it's not the Dark of the Moon but do you know how boring those pictures are? ---> Make a note ---> The Dark of the Moon is the segment of time that covers the three days surrounding the monthly appearance of the New Moon. At the Dark of the Moon, the Moon has moved into a position so close to the Sun it's no longer able to reflect sunlight -- and the Moon appears to be totally gone from the sky.
The Dark of the Moon
From the Blogs, Ezines & Elsewhere
From EDA: The Dark of the Moon ---> Everyday Astrology April 21, 2020 The Dark of the Moon ---> The Dark of the Moon is the 2 1/2 day period that comes every month before the arrival of the New Moon ... for that Zodiac sign. Some Astrologers call it the "dead" Moon. Ok, that may be descriptive, but it sure sounds ominous -- and hardly poetic. Whereas the Dark of the Moon sounds ... well, mysterious and intriguing.
Learn more about The Moon in Astrology
These are the index pages to all our articles
on this topic.
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index