Yeah, I know it's not the Dark of the Moon
but do you know how boring those pictures are?
Make a note
The Dark of the Moon is the segment of time that covers the three days surrounding the monthly appearance of the New Moon. At the Dark of the Moon, the Moon has moved into a position so close to the Sun it's no longer able to reflect sunlight -- and the Moon appears to be totally gone from the sky.
Being so closely aligned with the Sun, the Moon is totally lost in the glare as these two primary celestial bodies travel across the sky together. There's no way to see it, of course ... and no way to photograph it from Earth. Of course, the other side of the Moon is totally "full" at this point -- reflecting sunlight from the side we never can see ... otherwise, logically, know as the Dark Side of the Moon.
Until photographs from space became possible, the far side of the moon ... the "other side," the dark side ... remained one of astronomy's intriguing mysteries. But the Dark of the Moon and the dark side of the moon are two different things. Ancient humans, of course, were very familiar with this part of the moon's cycle -- almost certainly more than we are today.
They ascribed it symbolism and meaning that is passed down today in folklore, legend and the rituals and reverence that surround the Moon in the Earth-based religions, like Wicca.
Astrology is for Believers.
With an open mind and a knowledge of Astrology
you can watch your life unfold in ways that make sense.
Join our Premium Membership today!!
Ok, this is coming up on the real thing.
The Moon and its mystical symbolism
The Moon is considered feminine, cool, reflective, yin -- the counterpart to the bright, hot, yang presence of the Sun, and there was a time when it was considered more influential, when it was more revered and celebrated as having more status, value and importance.
Of course now, modern thought, "rational thinkers," and science itself dismiss most of this as mere superstition, but is it? Maybe the Ancient Ones had intuitively happened on wisdom that is mostly lost to contemporary perspectives, and maybe something rare and precious is likewise missing.
Over time, there was a movement away from lunar emphasis and its feminine themes as a center of spiritual practice. As masculine virtues gained popular appeal, the image of the Moon Goddess lost ground to the dominance of the Sun God and in a move that reflects the deliberate subjugation of women culturally and politically, the mysteries of the feminine moon ... goddess of the night ... were disparaged, repressed and devalued.
Working with the wisdom of Astrology ...
You can recognize the subtle knock of real opportunity
and the soft voice of invitations to personal growth
because you know they're coming, where to look for them,
and what they'll look like when they appear.
Join our Premium Membership today!!
Just pretend you don't see it, ok?
It repeats the process of life
Linking the Moon and night with darkness and evil played to people's fears. The mystical beauty of the Dark Moon cycle was tainted with grim and ominous superstitions. In time, civilization arrived with night-time illumination that overpowered the majesty of the star-spangled sky. And yet the symbolism of the moon and its phases, its rhythms and cycles, continues to call to something in all of us.
Every month, if we watch, we can see the process of death and resurrection unfold like a morality play in the sky overhead. Every beginning has an ending, which leads to yet another new start. It tells an eternal story. It's a process repeated in life. Every month is a new invitation to synch up with the Moon's lunar tides and align with them.
Let Astrology Be Your Helpful Companion.
With its wisdom, you can recognize the subtle knock of real opportunity and the soft voice of invitations to personal growth because you know they're coming, where to look for them, and what they'll look like when they appear.
Join our Premium Membership today!!
See it as a natural time
for rest and healing
See the Dark Moon not as a time of fear and depression, but as a time of turning inward and healing. There is less energy available to put into your usual activities. There's more contemplation of yourself and your inner world ... and less on supplying the demands and giving support to others. With any luck they've also become more self-reliant and introspective. That would be a good thing for everyone.
Use this natural break in the usual hectic pace to rest, renew, heal and reflect. This ebb and flow is how we're all built to work -- and when we're out of step with that it's easier to be overwhelmed by the stress and challenges of the next learning phase. Spend some time considering where you've been, what you've learned and where you want to go next.
Use the theme of the upcoming New Moon -- which changes every month -- to guide you into your next learning-and-work cycle. In the course of a year you'll touch base with it all -- the components of a fulfilling and satisfied life.
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
* Black Moon, Dark Moon, New Moon -- Ok, let's get this sorted out ---> Three names, three things ---> You've certainly heard the term New Moon applied to that part of the Moon's cycle when a small sliver of light appears in the western sky at dusk ... and gradually begins filling in over the next two weeks to reach the glorious display of the Full Moon before diminishing down to nothing again. Moon-watchers of all ages -- and maybe you are one -- enjoy this free celestial show every month.
* Put Dark Moon Magic to Work -- For YOU!! ---> A time to restore and strengthen your spirit ---> The Dark of the Moon is considered an especially mysterious, fruitful, and flexible time of "molding" the creative experiences that will come forth in the weeks immediately ahead.
Defining the Dark of the Moon ---> Around the time of the New Moon ... ---> People know the difference between the New Moon and the Full Moon. We get one of each every month. They are part of everyday life. Some know those funny in-between stages have names and meanings, too. Less well known is something known as the Dark Moon -- or the Dark of the Moon -- which also happens every month in the 3 1/2 days surrounding the New Moon.
* The Moon in General -- Your Inner Self of Feelings, Emotions and Intuition ---> Welcome to your inner world ---> In Astrology, The Moon represents our inner feelings, our emotions ... and our deep security needs. It reflects our basic habits, instincts and automatic reactions. It speaks to some elements of our Karma and childhood home, our upbringing, family background and specifically our relationship with our mother (or major mother figure from the past.) The Inner Self fueled by your Moon energy wants you to feel safe, protected, emotionally supported and "at home."
* A Day with No Lunar Aspects -- Not quite one thing ... not quite another ---> First things first ---> To understand this article, you may need a little bit of background. First of all ... do you know about the Void-of-Course Moon? If so, great. Skip down and read on. If not, take a minute or two (honest, that's all you'll need) to read about it. However, you'll do yourself a favor if you really learn about the v/c Moon ... benefits way beyond the limits of this article. Start here:
Quick Notes on the New Moon -- It gives you the basics and saves lots of time ---> The Solar / Lunar alignment ---> * In astrology, the celestial phenomenon known as the New Moon occurs at the exact moment the Sun and the Moon occupy precisely the same point in the sky-map of the Zodiac -- the same degree and minute of arc in a particular sign. This alignment is known as a conjunction.
The Void-of-Course Moon -- Quick Notes that Save Lots of Time ---> Don't start anything important!! ---> When the Moon is void-of-course in any sign, it marks a pause in Life's rhythm. Moon-void-of-course periods are a time to coast, get some extra rest, take life easy and be gentle with yourself.Don't start or schedule anything important. Just wait for life to regain its rhythm and start moving forward again.
* The New Moon -- A Celestial Milestone ---> When The Moon joins The Sun in the sky ---> In astrology, the celestial phenomenon known as the New Moon occurs at the exact moment the Sun and the Moon occupy precisely the same point in the sky-map of the Zodiac -- the same degree and minute of arc in a particular sign. This alignment is known as a conjunction.
* What Does the Moon Represent -- in Your Natal Chart -- What is it ... and why is it important? ---> The Sun / The Moon ---> What's the difference? ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your essential self -- the outer personality you present to the world and to most people who know you. But The Sun represents only one member of a whole family of inner selves, although, yes, it's a very important one. The second most important member of your inner family is the one represented by the Moon and its placement by sign and house in your Natal Chart.