The Symbolism of the Moon
The Moon, which astronomers know influences the mighty tides of the Earth's oceans and which provides a ever-changing display of celestial beauty in its eternal journey across the sky, is also an extremely important symbol to astrologers.
It symbolizes your instincts, habits, inner feelings, intuitions, hunches, and reactions ... your inner emotional tides, if you will, the light and dark moods that create their own ever-changing texture of feelings and responses in your life.
There is a great deal more to this, however, than just the assignment of qualities to an abstract metaphor. If you are the least bit self-aware, you'll notice that you'll greet some days feeling renewed, refreshed, energized, and excited about whatever life holds over the next twenty-four hours -- ready to take on the world.
Other days, for no apparent reason, you'll feel sluggish, depressed, gloomy, withdrawn, tired, and maybe even physically achy in a way more sleep isn't going to fix. (And no, I'm not talking about those times when too much hearty partying or genuine grief from the night before explains a whole lot about why you feel so lousy.)
Moods & Moon phases
No kidding ... whether you're feeling terrific or terrible may have a lot to do with the phase of the Moon. For sure, your ability to flow with life's tides instead of struggling against the current can be regulated and improved by knowing what the Moon is doing, physically and figuratively, and what its position describes in the energy cycles that form the fabric of life around us.
If you don't believe me, try keeping track of the Moon's phases for a while. Get to know a little bit about its astrological sign position and what this means to life in general. Show a little self-discipline in matching your tasks and personal focus to the stream of life's energy ... and see what living intuitively and in harmony with life's natural energy stream can do.
I'm confident it will make enough difference in your life to prove my point. And once you see what living "in flow" can do for your mood and your results, you won't go back to your old flailing habits for anything.
In fact, you'll find it's harder and much more uncomfortable to try to change back than it was to align yourself with the natural rhythms in the first place ... for obvious reasons. Your moods are inner sign posts meant to help you direct the traffic of your life to best advantage. You ignore them at your peril.
The Moon and Your Inner World
Just as with pain - another inner sign post -- if you ignore the signal, or worse, cover it up routinely with "medication" (drugs, alcohol, work, or just ignoring it in hopes it will go away) rather than finding and healing the cause of the distress, the problem doesn't just leave. It festers; it gets worse; it builds up more power ... and eventually it will find a way around the "medication" that will definitely get your attention again - only now it will be in a much meaner temper.
You can play this game of "keep away from the information" until it kills you, if you like. That happens thousands of times a day. It's a sad way to live (and die), because there really is a far easier ... better ... healthier way to be. But it does mean living with awareness.
You'd be surprised at the lengths some people will go to avoid that. (And then again, maybe you've seen enough of human nature that nothing about it surprises you any more. Sometimes I think I have.)
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Get the information you need.
Discover the difference knowledge
and preparation can make in your life!
Join our Premium Membership today!!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Moon in Astrology
* The Moon -- Ruler of Cancer ---> One of the most important components in your horoscope ---> The Moon, silvery, mysterious and reflective, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's inner, feeling-based personality. Along with the Sun and the Ascendant (or Rising Sign -- the sign that was literally rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth, the Moon is one of the three most significant components in a horoscope ....
Sun and Moon
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky....
* You, Your Moon, Your Moon Sign -- in Natal Astrology ---> The Co-star in your horoscope ---> The Moon's Sign and House position give just as much valid information about a person's character as the Sun Sign. In fact, in some people, the Moon information is even more revealing and important. Pop culture relies on Sun Sign astrology though for its material because the Sun is the easiest point to determine in a person's individual constellations ....
* Your Sun Sign, Moon Sign and Ascendant Sign -- Just What's Going On Here? ---> Three ways of defining you ... ---> The short answer to this question is: Your Sun sign tells about your basic ego, your Moon sign tells about you emotional inner self, and your Ascendant tells about your outer presentation to the rest of the world. If you want to know more ... read on: There are three main components an astrologer considers ...
Related to the Moon
* A Day with No Lunar Aspects -- Not quite one thing ... not quite another ---> First things first ---> To understand this article, you may need a little bit of background. First of all ... do you know about the Void-of-Course Moon? If so, great. Skip down and read on. If not, take a minute or two (honest, that's all you'll need) to read about it. However, you'll do yourself a favor if you really learn about the v/c Moon ... benefits way beyond the limits of this article.
A Moon-Related Phenomena
* What's the Difference Between -- A Solar and a Lunar Eclipse? -- Different Issues ... Different Requests for Your Attention ---> The physics of it ---> A Solar Eclipse happens when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, blocking the sunlight from view for a short time. ( Earth ---> Moon ---> Sun ) A Lunar Eclipse occurs when the Earth moves between the Moon and the Sun blocking sunlight so that it cannot reflect off the surface of the Moon. (Moon Earth Sun )
* Eclipses -- Special Alignments between -- The Sun, The Moon and The Earth -- for those who like their Astrology straight-up and hard core ---> An eclipse -- why it happens ---> In ancient times, eclipses were viewed with fear and wariness -- since they were imperfectly understood. But even today, when we fully understand the cause of eclipses ... and can predict their appearances years in advance, there's still a definite ambivalence -- even among astrologers -- about this peculiar, visually stunning astronomical phenomenon.
* Eclipses: A Celestial Show in Light and Shadow -- The User-Friendly Version ---> A celestial sensation ---> Eclipses have long been viewed with wariness and caution. They are, for certain, visually impressive events. If you ever have the chance to see one, it's worth the effort. But if you missed the latest one, never fear. There will be others! Eclipses also seem to foretell changes and developments far more momentous than those predicted by an ordinary lunation.
From EDA: Solar Eclipses ---> Everyday Astrology July 4, 2019 Solar Eclipses ---> Astrologers have always respected the symbolic power of eclipses. Even today an aura of apprehension and foreboding may attend one's arrival. But predictions that link eclipses with problems, misfortune and disasters, I think, miss the mark. Eclipses represent significant points of change, partially because the concerns they highlight hang around so long. Its sheer "staying power" points to something that really needs extra attention ....
Moon in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Learn more about The Moon in Astrology
These are the index pages to all our articles
on this topic.
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index