Luna, the Earth's Moon, is also the Earth's only natural satellite. Neither Mercury nor Venus have any moons at all. The rest of the planets in our Solar System have anywhere from 2 moons (Mars) to dozens of moons. Jupiter has 67. Even Pluto has five. Still that makes Earth and its Moon -- and their peculiar relationship to one another -- fairly unique.
The Moon was created about 4.6 billion years ago ... shortly after the Earth itself took shape. Through the years, there have been various theories about the origin of the Moon.
The most widely accepted one holds that the young Earth collided with another planet-sized object roughly the size of Mars called Theia, and the resulting debris from the impact spun out and eventually coalesced to form the Moon.
In Astrology, the Moon is the symbol of our inner selves, our feelings and emotions. It stands as an interesting companion and counterpoint to the Sun's emphasis on the outer personality, the ego, ambitions and willpower a person brings into the life to express as a spiritual being.
Together the Sun and the Moon comprise a more well-rounded, dimensional personality than simply Sun sign Astrology alone can manage.
The Moon represents our deep personal needs, our security issues, our instincts, reactions and basic habits. It is the source of powerful intuition and the metaphor for our automatic, knee-jerk responses. It speaks to our history, our family life and the support we crave and receive (or not) there.
It describes what we need to feel safe and protected. It is a strong component in what makes us human ... and what gives life its deep inner meaning. Information supplied by the Moon in the horoscope is crucial to understanding the fundamental character of the soul who owns it.
There are a myriad of lunar deities in mythology, most of them female Moon goddesses -- but not exclusively. Some of them are related to or work in conjunction with the more powerful, masculine Sun gods who are their counterpart -- or equivalent, however you want to word that.
The Romans had Luna, the feminine compliment of Sol. They also had Diana, the twin sister of Apollo. Juno, the wife of Jupiter -- king of the Roman gods, also has some less distinct connections to the Moon, but the implication exists.
The Greeks had Selene, the sister of Helios, to whom she was considered the personification of the Moon. But they also had Artemis, the twin sister of Apollo (who was assimilated into both traditions with that name.)
And they had Hecate, who provides a third lunar connection, but who is not the direct equivalent of Juno. In fact, Hecate comes across as much more powerful, complex and mysterious than Juno, with connections to witchcraft, sorcery and magic, as well as healing and herbology, ghosts and necromancy.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Moon in Astrology
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky....
* The Moon -- Ruler of Cancer ---> One of the most important components in your horoscope ---> The Moon, silvery, mysterious and reflective, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's inner, feeling-based personality. Along with the Sun and the Ascendant (or Rising Sign -- the sign that was literally rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth, the Moon is one of the three most significant components in a horoscope, traditionally considered ....
* You, Your Moon, Your Moon Sign -- in Natal Astrology ---> The Co-star in your horoscope ---> The Moon's Sign and House position give just as much valid information about a person's character as the Sun Sign. In fact, in some people, the Moon information is even more revealing and important. Pop culture relies on Sun Sign astrology though for its material because the Sun ...
* Your Sun Sign, Moon Sign and Ascendant Sign -- Just What's Going On Here? ---> Three ways of defining you ... ---> The short answer to this question is: Your Sun sign tells about your basic ego, your Moon sign tells about you emotional inner self, and your Ascendant tells about your outer presentation to the rest of the world. If you want to know more ... read on: There are three main components . ...
From the Blogs, Ezines
The Moon ---> Everyday Astrology August 15, 2020 The Moon ---> The masculine planets in Astrology, The Sun, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn & Pluto all have a very public presence. It's easy to see them at work, to understand their interests, to appreciate their goals. There's something very direct & honest about them.
Moon Signs -- From Everyday Astrology ---> Everyday Astrology August 9, 2019 Moon Signs ---> As the Moon travels through the Zodiac signs, making the full circle each month, it sets the emotional tone for each day ... what the overall mood is like, how it "feels" generally, what interests it highlights and what activities will be productive.
The Sun and The Moon -- From Everyday Astrology ---> Everyday Astrology September 28, 2020 The Sun and the Moon ---> In Astrology, the Sun and the Moon are a study in contrasts. They can be seen as mirror-images, on the one hand -- & on the other, they complete each other, making a greater, more dimensional picture of what a horoscope is describing. To have the information from one is a key element in understanding the character of the person or the nature of the event a horoscope contains.
The Moonwalking Series
Moonwalking 1 -- The magic world of inner space ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> The magic world of inner space ---> The Moon completes its circuit of the Zodiac -- moving through all 12 signs -- in just under a month -- every 27.3 days. It stays in each sign roughly 2 1/2 days. The Moon rules Zodiac sign Cancer and is associated with the interests of the natural 4th House.
Moonwalking 2 -- Where we feel at home ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> Where we feel at home ---> Moon information reveals a picture of our inner world, our most intimate selves ... and the things we need on a primal, even pre-verbal level. Moon information describes what we need to feel supported, protected and loved. Moon energy describes what comforts us.
Moonwalking 3 -- Letting life solve its own problems ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> Letting Life solve its own problems ---> When The Moon changes signs from one to the next, it signals a shift in the moods and prevailing emotional attitudes for everyone. This explains why a day that starts out pensive and gloomy can shift part-way through and become lighter, cheerful and sunny ... .
Moonwalking 4 -- The inner world of feelings ---> The inner world of feelings ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> The Moon in your horoscope represents one of the more complicated pieces of personality. First of all, it deals with feelings and emotions -- so already, we're on shaky ground ....
Moon in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index