3 Days of rest
The Dark of the Moon covers a special period of time -- about 3 1/2 days surrounding the arrival of the New Moon every month. Part of it lies in the Balsamic Phase (the final phase of every Lunar Cycle) and part in the time immediately after the New Moon forms. So strictly speaking the Dark of the Moon isn't an official Lunar phase, but regardless, like the New Moon and the Full Moon, it's important.
"On paper" I calculate the Dark Moon time from when the Moon is 30° behind the Sun (in the 12th Solar House of the horoscope) until it reaches 15° past the New Moon conjunction. That pretty much covers all the bases, including my practices as an astrologer. (And it's fortunate I have computer software that can quickly do the calculations for me.)
Otherwise, you can watch the final crescent of the Old Moon fade in the hours just before dawn about two days before the arrival of the New Moon for that sign -- & then wait until you see the thin crescent shape of the New Moon appear in the twilight hours just before sunset -- about three days later.
(That's how the cultures who base their timing on the Lunar Calendar do it.) In between the Moon is too close to the Sun to see it. It's lost in the glare -- coming & going.
Just as the Moon's light fades from view, so does the Dark of the Moon invite your attention away from your public life & outer world concerns -- & focus your thoughts inward into the fertile ground of your inner landscape. It's a time for quiet contemplation, dreams & visions & most of all rest & recuperation from the stress of the past month.
Deep in the comfort & privacy of your inner world, you reconnect to your authentic self ... the person you were designed to be. It's a time to ask yourself if you're on course with your feelings, your intentions & your true destiny. If so, it's time to plan how to continue in the month ahead. If not, it's time to ask yourself some pointed questions, give honest answers & figure out what you need to do to fix it.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Get the information you need.
Discover the difference knowledge
and preparation can make in your life!
Join our Premium Membership today!!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
Dark of the Moon
Basic Stuff About the Dark of the Moon
Quick Notes on the Dark of the Moon
Defining the Dark of the Moon
Dark Moon / New Moon
Working with the Dark of the Moon
The Dark of the Moon and the Dark Side of the Moon
Black Moon, Dark Moon, New Moon
The Mystery and Meaning of The Dark of the Moon 1
The Mystery and Meaning of the Dark of the Moon 2
A Dark Moon Ritual
Light Reading & Open Articles
The Dark of the Moon
* Wishin' and Dreamin' in the Dark of the Moon -- When the dark nights invite us to turn inward ---> Three nights of darkness ---> To Astrologers, Wiccans and others, the Dark of the Moon is the term describing the period of about three days just before and after the New Moon every month. It's the time when the final crescent of light fades on the left ... and before the thin crescent of the New Moon appears again on the right. It's what happens when The Moon is positioned so that from Earth we can see no reflected sunlight from it.
The Sun & the Moon
* The Moon -- Ruler of Cancer ---> One of the most important components in your horoscope ---> The Moon, silvery, mysterious and reflective, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's inner, feeling-based personality. Along with the Sun and the Ascendant (or Rising Sign -- the sign that was literally rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth, the Moon is one of the three most significant components in a horoscope, traditionally considered ....
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light ....
So what IS a Black Moon? ---> A black moon. Ever hear of it? ---> Sure most people have heard of a "blue moon" ... as in "once in a blue moon." Not so many can give you even one of the several definitions for that, though. They know it means a long time -- except for those who think it means something that never comes along at all. There is such a thing as a Blue Moon, though.
What is a Blood Moon? ---> It's a total Lunar eclipse. That's it. ---> Every once in a while, weathermen on television and other media types get all hyped about something they call a Blood Moon. They act like it's something really rare and mysterious. It's not. Mostly they're capitalizing on the description, because that sounds strange and worrisome. And it does, doesn't it? A Blood Moon occurs during a total lunar eclipse, and it's called that because ....
The Full Moon in Astrology
* Shadows in the Moonlight -- The Full Moon and its Testy Temper ---> The Sun Opposing The Moon ---> Who you are now vs. who you used to be ---> The aspect of the Sun opposing the Moon is the classic celestial show the rest of the world calls The Full Moon. In Astrology, The Full Moon highlights tension between two conflicting desires, ambitions, requirements, or sets of values ...
* Fractiousness and Fracture Lines: The Full Moon -- The crisis is predictable. It happens every month. ---> One of life's great divides ---> All Full Moons involve some kind of conflict. Usually, as the Full Moon forms ... and for several nights following, you feel pulled in two directions at once, required to try and serve two masters ....
The Dark of the Moon
From the Blogs, Ezines & Elsewhere
From EDA: The Dark of the Moon ---> Everyday Astrology April 21, 2020 The Dark of the Moon ---> The Dark of the Moon is the 2 1/2 day period that comes every month before the arrival of the New Moon ... for that Zodiac sign. Some Astrologers call it the "dead" Moon. Ok, that may be descriptive, but it sure sounds ominous -- and hardly poetic. Whereas the Dark of the Moon sounds ... well, mysterious and intriguing.
The Sun and The Moon -- From Everyday Astrology ---> Everyday Astrology September 28, 2020 The Sun and the Moon ---> In Astrology, the Sun and the Moon are a study in contrasts. They can be seen as mirror-images, on the one hand -- & on the other, they complete each other, making a greater, more dimensional picture of what a horoscope is describing. To have the information from one is a key element in understanding the character of the person or the nature of the event a horoscope contains.
Moon in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Learn more about The Moon in Astrology
These are the index pages to all our articles
on this topic.
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index