The Sun / The Moon
What's the difference?
The Sun in your horoscope represents your essential self -- the outer personality you present to the world and to most people who know you. But The Sun represents only one member of a whole family of inner selves, although, yes, it's a very important one. The second most important member of your inner family is the one represented by the Moon and its placement by sign and house in your Natal Chart.
The Moon represents your inner self. It is the symbol of your emotional landscape, that world of feelings and responses that you know well, but often keep to yourself. The Moon represents an Inner Self you only share with intimate family members, very close friends or other people you really know and trust. It presides over your private life the way the Sun projects your personality to the public.
Who you are inside
The Moon is the metaphor for your instincts, intuition and emotions. It contains the personality you know on the inside, the "real you," the being you are well below the surface of the Ascendant Self ... and even more private and revealing than the core essence of your Sun Self. It has deep connections to things like your memories, the past, your family, your feelings of belonging and ancestry.
With its association with your 4th House in the natural horoscope, it is connected to your foundations, your home, your family circle and your roots. Not everyone gets to see your Moon energy in action. This is reserved for those people you love and to whom you feel a psychological bond.
They don't have to be legally related to you by kinship or marriage, but you do have to feel they are "one of the family." Even then, there may be parts of your Moon energy you never show anyone -- even though you know and feel these profoundly.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Moonwalking Series
Moonwalking 1 -- The magic world of inner space ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> The magic world of inner space ---> The Moon completes its circuit of the Zodiac -- moving through all 12 signs -- in just under a month -- every 27.3 days. It stays in each sign roughly 2 1/2 days. The Moon rules Zodiac sign Cancer and is associated with the interests of the natural 4th House.
Moonwalking 2 -- Where we feel at home ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> Where we feel at home ---> Moon information reveals a picture of our inner world, our most intimate selves ... and the things we need on a primal, even pre-verbal level. Moon information describes what we need to feel supported, protected and loved. Moon energy describes what comforts us.
Moonwalking 3 -- Letting life solve its own problems ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> Letting Life solve its own problems ---> When The Moon changes signs from one to the next, it signals a shift in the moods and prevailing emotional attitudes for everyone. This explains why a day that starts out pensive and gloomy can shift part-way through and become lighter, cheerful and sunny ... .
Moonwalking 4 -- The inner world of feelings ---> The inner world of feelings ---> The Moonwalking Series Tiny articles on The Moon in Astrology Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember ---> The Moon in your horoscope represents one of the more complicated pieces of personality. First of all, it deals with feelings and emotions -- so already, we're on shaky ground ....
The Moon in Astrology
* The Moon -- Ruler of Cancer ---> One of the most important components in your horoscope ---> The Moon, silvery, mysterious and reflective, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's inner, feeling-based personality. Along with the Sun and the Ascendant (or Rising Sign -- the sign that was literally rising on the eastern horizon at the time of birth, the Moon is one of the three most significant components in a horoscope, traditionally considered ....
* The Moon in its Celestial Voyage ---> Feelings & Emotions ---> The Moon's position in the sky and in the Zodiac plots the emotional climate of life for us all. The Moon doesn't cause the emotional shifts and changing tone of the different moods we all experience. These simply correspond to the Moon's position in the natural rhythms of life, and as such provides a convenient indicator of what's happening, where we are in the monthly cycle of progression ....
Sun and Moon
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers ---> The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light ....
Moon in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Learn more about The Moon in Astrology
These are the index pages to all our articles
on this topic.
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index