A black moon. Ever hear of it?
Sure most people have heard of a "blue moon" ... as in "once in a blue moon." Not so many can give you even one of the several definitions for that, though. They know it means a long time -- except for those who think it means something that never comes along at all.
There is such a thing as a Blue Moon, though. The second full moon in a calendar month is called a Blue Moon ... and this happens once every 2 3/4 years.
Then I heard about something called a "black moon."
Actually it was a question someone on an internet list asked about -- and nobody seemed to know the answer. Which made me wonder if maybe the poor dear was completely confused -- and there really was no answer. (Certainly wouldn't have been the first time something like that happened.)
Frankly, I'd never heard of a Black Moon myself. But I'm the kind who looks things up -- in the encyclopedia, in the dictionary, at the library -- and double-checks any answers that seem to come off the top of somebody else's head. This annoys the stuffing out of some people, but it's given me some intriguing paths to explore in my time.
Turns out there is something called a Black Moon ... and several definitions for that, too, all rooted in the folklore we've lost touch with through the decades -- and yet, bit by bit, are rediscovering.
Some definitions of a Black Moon I find incongruous. For example, the absence of any new moon in a month -- which can only occur in February. But giving a name to a non-event doesn't make much sense to me.
If there's no "occurrence" ... what exactly is the "black moon" for that time? A "black moon month" in which there is no new moon -- would seem more logical. (But then, nobody asked me. In fact, most people ask me to sit down and shut up when I get off on one of these topics.)
There is also a Black Moon definition as the third New Moon in a season containing four New Moons -- but I ask you now, seriously, who has time to keep track of that?
The definition for a Black Moon that does make sense is the second new moon in a calendar month. Along with the most common definition of a Blue Moon -- the second full moon in a calendar month, this is at least reasonable. Or a Black Moon could be the second New Moon in a Zodiac sign. That also makes sense.
There are several definitions of Blue Moon as well ... which adds to the confusion. If you want to wade through some of this on your own, here's a place to begin. Blue Moon and Black Moon. But I warn you, it could turn into one of those things you wish you'd never started. Like maybe this conversation.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Get the information you need.
Discover the difference knowledge
and preparation can make in your life!
Join our Premium Membership today!!
* = Premium Members Article
You might also enjoy
* The Dark of the Moon -- A time of magic and creation ---> The Dark of the Moon is considered an especially mysterious, fruitful, and flexible time of "molding" the creative experiences that will come forth in the weeks immediately ahead. It is said that wishes made as the last sliver of the Moon's light fades on the left, and affirmed through the Dark of the Moon period ...
* Put Dark Moon Magic to Work -- For YOU!! ---> A time to restore and strengthen your spirit -- The Dark of the Moon is considered an especially mysterious, fruitful, and flexible time of "molding" the creative experiences that will come forth in the weeks immediately ahead.
* Fractiousness and Fracture Lines: The Full Moon -- The crisis is predictable. It happens every month. ---> One of life's great divides -- All Full Moons involve some kind of conflict. Usually, as the Full Moon forms ... and for several nights following, you feel pulled in two directions at once, required to try and serve two masters ... no matter how impossible you know that is -- logically. Life's demands in two opposing / competing areas become equally insistent and intense.
* How to Use the Void-of-Course Moon ---> Take time out -- Sooo, what can you do while the Moon is void-of-course ... besides stay under the covers and wait for deliverance??? Well, it's a good time to tend to routine chores, like cleaning, filing, sorting, organizing, minor maintenance work -- things that if they get done, great!! But if they don't get done until "later" ... it doesn't really matter.
Major Aspects of the Moon ---> The Moon in its travels -- The Moon, in its travels around the earth, cycles through all twelve signs of the Zodiac every twenty-eight to thirty days. It changes signs about every two and a half days. In each new sign, the Moon forms angles with the other planets in the sky, angles which are occasionally quite significant (called major aspects) and which mark the ebb and flow of both easy and irritating moments in everyday life.
The Moon in General -- Your Inner Self of Feelings, Emotions and Intuition ---> Welcome to your inner world -- In Astrology, The Moon represents our inner feelings, our emotions ... and our deep security needs. It reflects our basic habits, instincts and automatic reactions. It speaks to some elements of our Karma and childhood home, our upbringing, family background and specifically our relationship with our mother (or major mother figure from the past.)
What is the Dark of the Moon? -- When the Night's Moon Fades to Black ---> When the night brings no moonlight at all -- The Dark of the Moon refers to that phase in the Moon's monthly cycle when the Sun and Moon are so closely aligned there is no reflected light from the Sun available to shine from the Moon's surface.
* Feeling and Healing -- in the Dark of the Moon ---> Welcome to The Dark of the Moon ---> We all know the shifting shapes and different phases of the Moon as it travels through the sky every month -- from the sickle-shape of the Crescent Moon to the full round dinner plate magnificence of the Full Moon.
A Day with No Lunar Aspects -- Not quite one thing ... not quite another ---> First things first -- To understand this article, you may need a little bit of background. First of all ... do you know about the Void-of-Course Moon? If so, great. Skip down and read on. If not, take a minute or two (honest, that's all you'll need) to read about it.
The Void-of-Course Moon -- Quick Notes that Save Lots of Time ---> Don't start anything important!! -- When the Moon is void-of-course in any sign, it marks a pause in Life's rhythm. Moon-void-of-course periods are a time to coast, get some extra rest, take life easy and be gentle with yourself.Don't start or schedule anything important. Just wait for life to regain its rhythm and start moving forward again.
* Shadows in the Moonlight -- The Full Moon and its Testy Temper ---> The Sun Opposing The Moon -- Who you are now vs. who you used to be -- The aspect of the Sun opposing the Moon is the classic celestial show the rest of the world calls The Full Moo. In Astrology, The Full Moon highlights tension between two conflicting desires, ambitions, requirements, or sets of values -- each a necessary part of life, and each somehow a problem for the other.
* The New Moon -- A Milestone Celestial Event ---> When The Moon joins The Sun in the sky -- In astrology, the celestial phenomenon known as the New Moon occurs at the exact moment the Sun and the Moon occupy precisely the same point in the sky-map of the Zodiac -- the same degree and minute of arc in a particular sign. This alignment is known as a conjunction.
So what IS a Black Moon? ---> Sure most people have heard of a "blue moon" ... as in "once in a blue moon." Not so many can give you even one of the several definitions for that, though. They know it means a long time -- except for those who think it means something that never comes along at all.
What is a Blood Moon? ---> It's a total Lunar eclipse. That's it. ---> Every once in a while, weathermen on television and other media types get all hyped about something they call a Blood Moon. They act like it's something really rare and mysterious. It's not. Mostly they're capitalizing on the description, because that sounds strange and worrisome. And it does, doesn't it?
* What's the Difference Between -- A Solar and a Lunar Eclipse? -- Different Issues ... Different Requests for Your Attention ---> The physics of it ---> A Solar Eclipse happens when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, blocking the sunlight from view for a short time. ( Earth ---> Moon ---> Sun ) A Lunar Eclipse occurs when the Earth moves between the Moon and the Sun blocking sunlight so that it cannot reflect off the surface of the Moon. (Moon Earth Sun )
* Eclipses -- Special Alignments between -- The Sun, The Moon and The Earth -- for those who like their Astrology straight-up and hard core ---> An eclipse -- why it happens ---> In ancient times, eclipses were viewed with fear and wariness -- since they were imperfectly understood. But even today, when we fully understand the cause of eclipses ... and can predict their appearances years in advance, there's still a definite ambivalence -- even among astrologers -- about this peculiar, visually stunning astronomical phenomenon.
* Eclipses: A Celestial Show in Light and Shadow -- The User-Friendly Version ---> A celestial sensation ---> Eclipses have long been viewed with wariness and caution. They are, for certain, visually impressive events. If you ever have the chance to see one, it's worth the effort. But if you missed the latest one, never fear. There will be others!
The Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The New Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Full Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Dark Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
The Void-of-Course Moon in Astrology -- Articles Index
Today's Everyday Astrology