General Articles on Retrograde Motion
* Retrograde Motion -- What's this all about? ---> Reversing course ---> All the planets astrologers use to decode the spiritual language of the cosmos exhibit a phenomenon known as retrograde motion. Very simply, there are times from Earth's perspective when each of the planets seems to back up in its orbit, to actually reverse course for a time, before eventually going forward again. This is caused by the differing orbits and the differing speeds of the elements involved.
* This Thing Called Retrograde Motion -- What it means in plain English ---> Turning inward ---> What is this thing called retrograde motion? Wherever it's found, in the sky or in a horoscope, retrograde energy means the matters represented by the retrograde planet become more subjective as people re-think, re-consider, re-evaluate and re-build. They process experience and information inwardly.
* Working with the Metaphors of Retrograde Energy ---> When a planet goes into retrograde -- or comes out again, it doesn't just stop on a dime and start racing at its usual speed in the opposite direction. It seems (from the vantage point of Earth) to slow down gradually as it approaches the point of reversal -- the way you slow down in the car before coming to a stop -- or making a turn ... and certainly before making a U-Turn.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
* Quick Notes on Mercury Retrograde ---> Time to reconsider ---> When Mercury turns retrograde, which it does about three times a year, it moves from the degree of the Zodiac where it stops before turning around (Astrologers call this piece of business "taking a station.") ... then it moves about 14 -15 degrees backwards to a previous point. There it takes another station ... and then finally, starts moving forward again -- having tended (we hope) to the business it forgot ... or misunderstood.
* Mercury Retrograde -- Rethinking Your Present Direction ---> In the territory of the mind ---> When Mercury is retrograde (Mercury Rx -- in shorthand), it is a time of rethinking, refocusing and re-communicating. In Astrology, Mercury represents your intellect; your mental focus; your mind and how you use its assets. It describes your ability to read, write, study, talk, absorb information and learn new things. It describes your communication skills, your use of knowledge, your individual perspective. It also depicts your ability to be mobile, to move around -- physically and intellectually.
The other Personal Planets retrograde
* Venus Retrograde -- Realigning Your Values and Assets ---> Reassessing things of value ... Venus represents your important relationships, your important values, and the way you handle the things you value, especially material resources like money and possessions you need to support yourself. When Venus is retrograde, these things get special attention from everyone. Retrograde energy shows it's time for humankind to back up and re-evaluate these vital concerns.
* Mars Retrograde -- Doing Work Over Again ---> Red is a Mars color. ---> Mars Retrograde ---> Mars goes retrograde roughly once every two years and stays that way for about two and a half months each time. Mars retrograde marks a time when all the things ruled by or involved with what Mars represents in Astrology are up for review, revision -- and usually some major course correction.
The Karmic Planets retrograde
* Jupiter Retrograde -- Expanding Your Latest Creation ---> Jupiter's interests ---> Jupiter represents your philosophical beliefs and ethical principles. It describes your ability to share authoritative knowledge ... the wisdom you've gained both through academic study and through the simple experience of living. These are the lessons you teach through the example of your own life by the ideas that guide your choices and the actions you take as a result.
* Saturn Retrograde -- Rebuilding Your Personal Foundations ---> Delays ... get worse ---> Saturn is notorious for signifying delays, and because under stress it also symbolizes limitation, restriction, and loss, many followers of astrology consider it their least favorite planet. But I think it gets a bad rap and lots of blame it really doesn't deserve.
* Uranus Retrograde -- Reclaiming Your Independence ---> The free spirit in all of us ---> Uranus -- the clown energy of the cosmos, the metaphor for the free spirit in all of us, the inspirational madness that can both make fools of us all and show us the unique eccentricities of our soul -- is perhaps my favorite planet. Ok, I'll admit to a certain prejudice. Uranus energy is not all fun and games (although lots of it is!!) and it is the most highly aspected planet in my chart giving me an affinity for its energy that is unusual.
Pluto Retrograde -- Rebuilding in the Wake of Revolution ---> Pluto -- death and resurrection ---> Pluto. If you know anything at all about the symbolism of this strange, erratic, controversial planet (which some scientists don't consider a planet at all, and other scientists consider part of a double planet set along with its own Moon, Charon, with whom it shares an atmosphere), you know it represents situations and experiences that deserve more than passing respect.