The first marker of time
The Sun is perhaps the most rudimentary and reliable chronometer ... "measure or marker of time" ... we have. It is certainly the most obvious. It rises every morning ... and sets every evening. It has been doing so for millions of years. It will continue this rhythm past the time limits any human mind can imagine. It sets a schedule for the pace of life on earth ... and is a fundamental part of all life.
It provides light and heat. It is an element in the process of plant photosynthesis. It plays a part in the production of Vitamin D -- which provides us with stronger bones and healthier bodies. It even wards off the depressing, debilitating effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder ... a malady linked to full-light-spectrum deprivation.
It is absolutely vital
We and the world we know literally could not exist without The Sun, its presence, and its gifts. Its rhythm and appearance with each new dawn even brings a psychological lift as it banishes the gloom of darkness ... and promises a new and better day in the hours ahead.
Without the presence of the Sun, the Earth would be a cold, dead rock ... for life as we know it would not exist here. There would be no center to hold the planets in their orbits as they revolve.
Instead, the planets would be so much space debris, floating aimlessly until something ... some other star perhaps pulled its mass into its gravitational field ... or until it was absorbed by one of the many black holes in space. Who's to say what happens from there ... in either case. We certainly wouldn't be around to care.
And yet we take it for granted
And yet we take the Sun for granted. It's one of those background features that make up "just the way life is." We don't have to think about it. We certainly can't control it. We can only control its effects ... with things like air conditioning, sun glasses, sunscreen, and shade!! The Sun, more ancient, more powerful, more indispensable than anything we can even envision is considered commonplace ... when, in fact, it is nothing short of miraculous.
It is part of our language, our art, our cultural consciousness. In the magic of its vital warmth and brilliance, plants grow, flowers bloom ... and life in its infinite variety stirs and begins to move ... each day and as the seasons change. Amazingly, The Sun also provides a starting point, a place of reference around which the horoscope of a new person or event can be built ... and there, the unfolding destiny of this new creation appears for anyone with the knowledge and interest to see.
And it's mighty impressive
For a thing that amounts to a gigantic ball of flaming gas ... a nuclear explosion that has been progressing for millions of years along its own path of life, death, and destiny ... this is a mighty impressive list of benefits and responsibilities.
No wonder the Sun as a deity formed the core of some of Earth's earliest religions as humans began to reach out with their minds, imaginations, ceremonies, and attempts to influence their lives toward something they perceived as greater than themselves. And, naturally one of the first candidates in line for this post ... and this kind of attention and reverence ... was the Sun.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
The Sun in Astrology
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
* You Are Your Sunshine -- Sun Energy in your horoscope ... -- what it is and what it does ---> The center of it all ---> In Astronomy, the planets in our Solar System revolve around the Sun ... the celestial body at the center of it all ... keeping things together and sustaining life as we know it. In Astrology, your Sun energy defines your life purpose, your central essence ... the power that fashions and expresses the character that is completely, uniquely you.
* Interpreting the Sun in Your Horoscope ---> The Sun ---> Represents the inner self Your inherent sense of purpose, destiny or importance in life Ego, drive, willpower, ambition Your individual self-expression Your sense of personal identity What you strive to be How you seek to gain attention ---> The Sun expressing positively ---> Ambitious, confident, creative, dignified, dynamic, generous, honorable, influential, loyal, noble, a leader ....
More on the Sun
Your Sun and Sun Sign -- What they mean in your horoscope ---> Your Sun Energy ---> The central essence of you ---> In Astrology, the Sun represents your basic personality, the central cluster of traits and interests, strengths and personal issues that color and influence the various other parts of your character -- the inner selves and different roles described by the nine other planets in your horoscope. The Sun is an important component in Astrology, but as you see ... it is only one player among many.
* Sun Power -- Sun energy in your horoscope and personality -- What does the Sun represent in Astrology -- and why is it important? ---> It's complicated -- and so are you ---> Astrology understands your personality is a complex, integrated structure. It's composed of different parts, different Inner Selves, that theoretically work together as a whole. Of course that's not always true. (I called it "theoretical" for a reason.) Inner conflict is a huge part of being human.
Acting from the Center of the Sun -- Acting from the Center of Yourself ---> It's not magic ---> Astrology is not about magic, or superstition or self-delusion. Essentially, Astrology is about symbolism ... knowing how to read the code of life that the patterns in the stars depict. This is not because the planets and other heavenly bodies Astrology uses in its language are in certain signs or locations per se, but because ....
What Do Sun Aspects Show? -- The Presence and Behavior of Your Inner Selves ---> You and your self-expression ---> All aspects to the Sun affect how the person, entity or event you're examining expresses itself ... and how it is perceived. If you have aspects to the Sun in your Natal Chart -- and chances are you do, an unaspected Sun is rare but not impossible -- it shows influences from your family of Inner Selves that affect your self expression. Planets that aspect your Sun shape your sense of who you are -- your self identity.
The Transiting Sun
* Notes on The Transiting Sun ---> The moving picture of you ---> Aspects that involve the Sun ... whether we're speaking of the Sun in your Natal Chart or the transiting Sun in the sky ... always involve issues of self-identity, personal ambition, your willpower, and ways in which you want to have impact on the world ... and feel important. Wherever the Sun is involved, you are looking to shine.
* Understanding Transiting Sun Energy -- Things to know about the transiting Sun's -- behavior, position and influence ---> The traveling Sun ---> The Sun represents your ego, your basic sense of who you are. In Astrology, the Sun symbolizes your self-image and your self-identity. Your Sun Sign, obviously, tells what sign the Sun was traveling through on the day you were born. The Sun in the sky, however, travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac in the course of a year.
The Sun & Moon in Astrology
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Your two most important Inner Selves ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
From the Blogs, Ezines and Elsewhere
From EDA: The Sun ---> Everyday Astrology ---> March 15, 2020 ---> The Sun ---> Just as the Sun is the physical center of our Solar System, so the Sun in Astrology is the center of attention in a horoscope. It provides a starting point for an Astrologer to begin interpreting the essential qualities of a person's character or a situation -- whatever that particular chart happens to examine. The pivotal energy of a person or event starts there -- with the Sun's sign & location.
From EDA: The Sun and The Moon ---> Everyday Astrology ---> March 30, 2020 Sun & Moon ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your Essential Self, the inner part of your character that defines your personality and ego. It is your basic identity to the world as your life unfolds. Arguably it also describes your spiritual purpose ... your sense of who you are and who you are meant to become. It is your present self reaching into the future as you develop your potential and talents.
The Sun in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
The Sun in Astrology -- Articles Index
Born with the Sun in ... Articles Index
Sun Sign in Astrology -- Articles Index
Serenity by Starlight is
Serenity's Astrology Blog