The first marker of time
The Sun is perhaps the most rudimentary and reliable chronometer ... "measure or marker of time" ... we have. It is certainly the most obvious. It rises every morning ... and sets every evening. It has been doing so for millions of years. It will continue this rhythm past the time limits any human mind can imagine. It sets a schedule for the pace of life on earth ... and is a fundamental part of all life.
It provides light and heat. It is an element in the process of plant photosynthesis. It plays a part in the production of Vitamin D -- which provides us with stronger bones and healthier bodies. It even wards off the depressing, debilitating effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder ... a malady linked to full-light-spectrum deprivation.
It is absolutely vital
We and the world we know literally could not exist without The Sun, its presence, and its gifts. Its rhythm and appearance with each new dawn even brings a psychological lift as it banishes the gloom of darkness ... and promises a new and better day in the hours ahead.
Without the presence of the Sun, the Earth would be a cold, dead rock ... for life as we know it would not exist here. There would be no center to hold the planets in their orbits as they revolve. Instead, the planets would be so much space debris, floating aimlessly until something ... some other star perhaps pulled its mass into its gravitational field ... or until it was absorbed by one of the many black holes in space. Who's to say what happens from there ... in either case. We certainly wouldn't be around to care.
And yet we take it for granted
And yet we take the Sun for granted. It's one of those background features that make up "just the way life is." We don't have to think about it. We certainly can't control it. We can only control its effects ... with things like air conditioning, sun glasses, sunscreen, and shade!! The Sun, more ancient, more powerful, more indispensable than anything we can even envision is considered commonplace ... when, in fact, it is nothing short of miraculous.
It is part of our language, our art, our cultural consciousness. In the magic of its vital warmth and brilliance, plants grow, flowers bloom ... and life in its infinite variety stirs and begins to move ... each day and as the seasons change. Amazingly, it also provides a starting point, a place of reference around which the Natal Chart of a new person or event can be built ... and there, the unfolding destiny of this new creation appears for anyone with the knowledge and interest to see.
And it's mighty impressive
For a thing that amounts to a gigantic ball of flaming gas ... a nuclear explosion that has been progressing for millions of years along its own path of life, death, and destiny ... this is a mighty impressive list of benefits and responsibilities.
No wonder the Sun as a deity formed the core of some of Earth's earliest religions as humans began to reach out with their minds, imaginations, ceremonies, and attempts to influence their lives toward something they perceived as greater than themselves. And, naturally one of the first candidates in line for this post ... and this kind of attention and reverence ... was the Sun.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
* What Does The Sun Represent -- in Your Natal Chart? -- What is it ... and why is it important? ---> The center of everything ---> The Sun is the unmistakable center of our Solar System. Likewise, the Sun is your horoscope, with its sign placement and house position, describes the core essence of your character..
* The Sun in General -- Your Essential Self of Power, Will, Vitality and Ambition ---> The essence of you -- In Astrology, The Sun represents your basic core identity. It gives information about the qualities of your ego, your individual self-expression, your self-image and your sense of personal identity.
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
* The Sun in Astrology -- The Central Star in the Horoscope -- Its Meaning and Significance ---> The central player -- A simple and very general way of working with Astrology centers on the fact that the Sun is the central feature of a horoscope.
* The Spiritual Meaning of -- The Sun in Astrology -- The symbolism of The Sun ---> The Central StarThe source of light -- The Sun's spiritual meaning in Astrology is the spiritual essence of you! -- The Sun and The Moon are considered "the luminaries" in Astrology. The word itself means "light source," but The Sun is the only celestial body in the horoscope that gives off its own light.
* The Meaning of the Sun in Astrology -- The Star of your Horoscope -- Its Place in your Inner Family ---> Every year The Sun travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac, spending about a month in each. But calendar months are not all equal in length, and Zodiac signs aren't either. The winter ones are a bit shorter, those in summer a bit longer.
* What The Sun in Your Natal Chart -- Reveals About You -- The center of your horoscope / -- the center of your personality ---> The Sun ... it's just the beginning -- Despite its powerful influence in familiar mainstream astrology, The Sun in your horoscope gives a whole lot more information to an astrologer than simply the characteristics associated with its sign.
* You Are Your Sunshine -- Sun Energy in your horoscope ... -- what it is and what it does ---> The center of it all ---> In Astronomy, the planets in our Solar System revolve around the Sun ... the celestial body at the center of it all ... keeping things together and sustaining life as we know it. In Astrology, your Sun energy defines your life purpose, your central essence ... the power that fashions and expresses the character that is completely, uniquely you.
His Majesty ... The Sun -- The Center of Our Solar System ---> The first marker of time ---> The Sun is perhaps the most rudimentary and reliable chronometer ... "measure or marker of time" ... we have. It is certainly the most obvious. It rises every morning ... and sets every evening. It has been doing so for millions of years. It will continue this rhythm past the time limits any human mind can imagine. It sets a schedule for the pace of life on earth ... and is a fundamental part of all life.
Where Is the Sunshine In YOUR Life? ---> What's your sign? ---> When someone asks ... "What's your sign?" ... he or she is really asking "What sign of the Zodiac was the Sun traveling through when you were born?" ---> The Sun's placement is an important describing factor in a person's character. It tells a lot about his essential personality. Best of all, it's usually easy to determine a person's Sun sign. All you have to know is his birthday.
The Sun -- Just the Facts -- The Sun and its many guises in the Zodiac ---> Introduction ---> Your Sun energy defines the solid center of your spiritual identity. It describes the substance of who you are as a character, as a person, as a spiritual being. In Astrology, your Sun energy defines your life purpose, your central essence ... the power that fashions and expresses the singular presence that is completely, uniquely you.
The Sun in Astrology -- Articles Index
Born with the Sun in ... Articles Index
Sun Sign in Astrology -- Articles Index