Unless you've lived under a rock all your life, there's a good chance you've at least met some very basic ideas from Astrology, one of which is apt to be your Sun Sign. This is the Zodiac sign you name when someone asks, "What's your sign?" and you answer, "I'm a Cancer." or "I'm a Virgo." or "I'm a Sagittarius."
You may well know some of the characteristics associated with your Sun Sign. If so, that's terrific, we'll get into that later. (Much later probably.) In this essay, I'm writing about the Sun -- as it relates to the concepts in Astrology ... because it's important and because it determines what you Sun Sign is in the first place.
There are 12 signs in the Zodiac. These are depicted in a circular map of the sky Astrologers call a horoscope, or a birth chart, or a Natal Chart. These are all terms for the same thing. This is what one looks like -- a map of the sky at the time I was writing this essay. (July 11, 2019, 3:45 PM, Sandia Park, NM, MDT ---> 35°N; 106°W)
A map of the sky
The Sun travels through all 12 Zodiac signs in the course of a year. It spends about a month in each sign. The sign it was traveling through when you were born is what determines your Sun Sign. In the chart above, the Sun was passing through Cancer at 19° 18' of the sign.
YOUR horoscope is a map of the sky taken at the instant you were born in the place you were born. Here's what mine looks like. If you look carefully, you'll notice the two charts are different. The wheel is different. The planet placements are different. The Sun is at 2° 48' of Aries. Pretty much everything about them is different except (smile -- private joke) ... Uranus in 6th House. (But that's not important.)
So much packed into one symbol
This is one of several reasons why Sun Sign Astrology is so popular. It fits inside the yearly calendar -- and there's a predictability to it that makes several things easy. We'll also talk more about those. But here we need to learn some particular things about the Sun in Astrology -- what it means, why it's important and how it defines you -- or the person, object or event you're examining.
The Sun's placement in a Zodiac sign reveals something important about your character, your personality, your way of working with life, and your way of experiencing the world. It also gives essential information about the contribution you were born to make, the kind of people you attract, and the destiny you are working to fulfill. It describes the kinds of people you get along with -- and why, and the kinds of people you have problems with ... and why.
Other components in your Natal Chart fill in their own important details, but the Sun Sign determined by your birthday sets an important theme in describing the spiritual treasures you have ... and the remarkably unique person you are.
There's more to this article in our Premium Members section.
~ Our Premium Member Ezines keep you informed ~
on current astrological happenings and what these mean to you,
daily, weekly and on-demand tarot readings, thought-provoking oracles,
new articles on the site, new site toys and features ... and more!
The Sun in Astrology
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined.
* My Notes About the Sun in Astrology ---> Note: This is a random collection of "things to know about the Sun in Astrology," listed in no particular order, but it gives a pretty complete description of what this essential point of reference can tell you ... or at least tell your Astrologer. Predictable and easy to find ---> * The Sun is the best known player in Astrology. The Zodiac sign it was traveling through when you were born ....
* You Are Your Sunshine -- Sun Energy in your horoscope ... -- what it is and what it does ---> The center of it all ---> In Astronomy, the planets in our Solar System revolve around the Sun ... the celestial body at the center of it all ... keeping things together and sustaining life as we know it. In Astrology, your Sun energy defines your life purpose, your central essence ... the power that fashions and expresses the character that is completely, uniquely you.
More about the Sun
* Interpreting the Sun in Your Horoscope ---> The Sun ---> Represents the inner self Your inherent sense of purpose, destiny or importance in life Ego, drive, willpower, ambition Your individual self-expression Your sense of personal identity What you strive to be How you seek to gain attention ---> The Sun expressing positively ---> Ambitious, confident, creative, dignified, dynamic, generous, honorable, influential, loyal, noble, a leader ....
Acting from the Center of the Sun -- Acting from the Center of Yourself ---> It's not magic ---> Astrology is not about magic, or superstition or self-delusion. Essentially, Astrology is about symbolism ... knowing how to read the code of life that the patterns in the stars depict. This is not because the planets and other heavenly bodies Astrology uses in its language are in certain signs or locations per se, but because ....
* Sun Power -- Sun energy in your horoscope and personality -- What does the Sun represent in Astrology -- and why is it important? ---> It's complicated -- and so are you ---> Astrology understands your personality is a complex, integrated structure. It's composed of different parts, different Inner Selves, that theoretically work together as a whole. Of course that's not always true. (I called it "theoretical" for a reason.) Inner conflict is a huge part of being human.
From the Blogs, Ezines and Elsewhere
From EDA: The Sun ---> Everyday Astrology ---> March 15, 2020 ---> The Sun ---> Just as the Sun is the physical center of our Solar System, so the Sun in Astrology is the center of attention in a horoscope. It provides a starting point for an Astrologer to begin interpreting the essential qualities of a person's character or a situation -- whatever that particular chart happens to examine. The pivotal energy of a person or event starts there -- with the Sun's sign & location.
From EDA: The Sun and The Moon ---> Everyday Astrology ---> March 30, 2020 Sun & Moon ---> The Sun in your horoscope represents your Essential Self, the inner part of your character that defines your personality and ego. It is your basic identity to the world as your life unfolds. Arguably it also describes your spiritual purpose ... your sense of who you are and who you are meant to become. It is your present self reaching into the future as you develop your potential and talents.
The Sun in Astrology
Light Reading & Open Articles
Learn more about The Sun in Astrology
The Sun in Astrology -- Articles Index
Born with the Sun in ... Articles Index
Sun Sign in Astrology -- Articles Index