The Solar Power Series
Tiny essays on the role and
meaning of the Sun in Astrology
Quick to read, easy to digest, easy to remember
The Sun rules Leo and the natural 5th House.
The Sun rules the Zodiac sign Leo and natural 5th House. In plain English, this means the qualities and attributes The Sun represents are closely aligned -- virtually indistinguishable from -- those associated with the sign Leo ... and closely associated with interests of the 5th House in a Natal Chart ... regardless of the actual sign on that house cusp.
Leo is outgoing, confident, colorful and charismatic. When The Sun is well-placed and well-supported in a horoscope, its energy radiates out and encourages all these attributes to come forward and be noticed.
The 5th house in the natural Zodiac and in a Natal Chart shows the life area that supports creativity and artistic efforts, self-promotion, involvement with children and brain-children, all manner of hobbies and leisure activities as well as speculation and romance. The Sun's interests line up right beside those, too.
Leo, The Sun and the natural 5th House all radiate the same powerful, self-aware energy for everyone. Life experiences and challenges to The Sun's expression from other celestial citizens from within the horoscope itself, however, can impede The Sun's ability to function well.
The Solar Power Series
A portrait in code
The Sun is a central player in astrology and the central feature in a horoscope. It is one of the first three elements an Astrologer looks for when assessing the nature of an event or the qualities of a person's character. The other two horoscope elements that approach the Sun's importance are The Moon and The Ascendant -- or Rising Sign -- the sign on the cusp of the 1st House. ---> Solar Power 1
The Sun in Astrology ... the best-known of the bunch
The Sun is the best-known player in astrology, likely because it is both important in interpreting a horoscope and because it's usually extremely easy to determine the Sun's position in the sky from just the date. In other words, you don't need a lot of extra books and equipment to come up with Sun Sign information ... which makes the Sun's position at any given time the basis of Sun Sign Astrology. ---> Solar Power 2
The Sun in your horoscope
describes the essence of you
The Sun in your horoscope represents the self, your personality and ego, your spirit. It describes your basic identity and what makes you -- the individual -- unique. Your Sun energy describes the essence of who you are today and who you are becoming through the events and experiences of this life. I consider that the Sun in your horoscope describes your Essential Self. ---> Solar Power 3
along a predictable path
The Sun travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac each year, spending about a month in each sign. The Sun travels the same sequence of the Signs every year ... starting with Aries at the Spring Equinox ... to Taurus ... to Gemini ... through to Pisces. The Zodiac sign dates and calendar dates, however, are not aligned. ---> Solar Power 4
rules Leo & 5th House
The Sun rules the Zodiac sign Leo and natural 5th House. In plain English, this means the qualities and attributes The Sun represents are closely aligned -- virtually indistinguishable from -- those associated with the sign Leo ... and closely associated with interests of the 5th House in a Natal Chart ... regardless of the actual sign on that house cusp. ---> Solar Power 5
Join one of our tiers.
Subscribe to our work through
The Sun in Astrology -- Articles Index
Born with the Sun in ... Articles Index
Sun Sign in Astrology -- Articles Index
You might also enjoy
* = Premium Members Article
* The Sun in General -- Your Essential Self of Power, Will, Vitality and Ambition ---> The essence of you -- In Astrology, The Sun represents your basic core identity. It gives information about the qualities of your ego, your individual self-expression, your self-image and your sense of personal identity. It depicts both the essence of who you are and how you define and reveal yourself to the rest of the world.
* The Sun -- Ruler of Leo -- Symbol of Your Essential Self ---> The Sun, without which life on Earth could not exist as we know it, is the astrological metaphor which symbolizes an individual's basic personality, the underlying canvas upon which all the other colors and elements of his character are co-mingled and combined. The Sun and its meaning are the centerpiece in the structure of Astrology.
* What Does The Sun Represent in Your Natal Chart? -- What is it ... and why is it important? ---> The center of everything -- The Sun is the unmistakable center of our Solar System. Likewise, the Sun is your horoscope, with its sign placement and house position, describes the core essence of your character. It reveals the character traits you will use to express yourself, explore the world, have impact on your surroundings, learn what you need to know and accomplish the work you came here to do.
* The Luminaries in Astrology -- The Sun and The Moon -- What are they ... and what's the difference? ---> The Light-givers -- The Luminaries -- This term refers to The Sun and The Moon in a horoscope -- distinguishing them from the other common elements ... the eight known planets, excluding the Earth. The term luminary suggests The Sun and The Moon are both sources of light, and it's true they are both the brightest objects in the sky and two of the most commanding points of information in a horoscope.
* Where Is the Sunshine In YOUR Life? ---> When someone asks ... "What's your sign?" ... he or she is really asking "What sign of the Zodiac was the Sun traveling through when you were born?" The Sun's placement is an important describing factor in a person's character. It tells a lot about his essential personality. Best of all, it's usually easy to determine a person's Sun sign. All you have to know is his birthday.
* Are You Not Typical for Your Sign? -- When your Sun sign description just doesn't fit ---> What's your sign? -- When someone asks your sign, he wants to know which Zodiac sign the Sun was in when you were born. Usually it's easy to place anyone in a sign, although there are twelve days a year -- days when the Sun changes from one sign to the next -- when a clear answer isn't possible.
* The Sun in Astrology -- The Central Star in the Horoscope -- Its Meaning and Significance ---> The central player -- A simple and very general way of working with Astrology centers on the fact that the Sun is the central feature of a horoscope. -- There is a whole industry of mainstream astrology built around this idea, from the little three line "daily horoscopes" in newspapers and magazines to the little dime-store booklets that purport to "tell you more" about who you are, using your Sun sign characteristics as the basis of their information.
* The Spiritual Meaning of -- The Sun in Astrology -- The symbolism of The Sun ---> The Central StarThe source of light -- The Sun's spiritual meaning in Astrology is the spiritual essence of you! -- The Sun and The Moon are considered "the luminaries" in Astrology. The word itself means "light source," but The Sun is the only celestial body in the horoscope that gives off its own light.
* Understanding Transiting Sun Energy -- Things to know about the transiting Sun's -- behavior, position and influence ---> The Sun represents your ego, your basic sense of who you are. In Astrology, the Sun symbolizes your self-image and your self-identity. Your Sun Sign, obviously, tells what sign the Sun was traveling through on the day you were born. The Sun in the sky, however, travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac in the course of a year.
* The Meaning of the Sun in Astrology -- The Star of your Horoscope -- Its Place in your Inner Family ---> Every year The Sun travels through all twelve signs of the Zodiac, spending about a month in each. But calendar months are not all equal in length, and Zodiac signs aren't either. The winter ones are a bit shorter, those in summer a bit longer.
* Things to Know About The Sun in Astrology -- Reflections on The Sun -- in no particular order ---> The Sun itself is the central feature and the only star in our solar system. In Astrology, The Sun, along with The Moon, is considered one of the "luminaries" -- a word that means "light source." The Sun, however, is the only one that generates its own light.
* The Transiting Sun in Signs -- As The Sun moves through the Circle of Life ---> When The Sun is in Aries, you'll have the energy and ambition you need to launch new projects, make necessary changes and get stuff done. When The Sun moves into Taurus, you're more interested in slowing down, sitting back, taking it easy, stabilizing what you've started and enjoying life at a more measured pace.
* The Sun Signs and Their Meaning in Astrology. -- The Twelve Astrological Characters ---> You ... a work-in-progress -- In Astrology, The Sun is the symbol of your Essential Self. Its energy is a snapshot of you as a work-in-progress. The Sun in your horoscope shows who you are, how you are developing ... and, therefore, who you are becoming. Its sign, house position and aspects say a lot about who you were designed to be and how you were meant to work. Alignment with your Sun energy is vital to understanding and becoming who you really are.
* Sun Sign / Moon Sign -- Sun Energy / Moon Energy in Your Horoscope -- What's the difference? ---> You have a Sun Sign -- Your Sun sign is the Zodiac sign the Sun was traveling through at the time you were born. There are twelve signs in the Zodiac, starting with Aries and ending with Pisces. When you arrived in the world The Sun was in one of them.
* The Sun and Moon in Your Natal Chart -- Two powerful descriptions of you ---> Even in the more subtle, introverted signs, like Scorpio, Virgo and Pisces, The Sun's energy in your horoscope is considered powerful, masculine and demonstrative. Its expression can be overwhelmed and disguised by other factors or afflictions in the horoscope, but not easily.
* Your Sun Sign, Moon Sign and Ascendant Sign -- Just What's Going On Here? ---> Three ways of defining you ... -- The short answer to this question is: Your Sun sign tells about your basic ego, your Moon sign tells about you emotional inner self, and your Ascendant tells about your outer presentation to the rest of the world.
* What The Sun in Your Natal Chart -- Reveals About You -- The center of your horoscope / -- the center of your personality ---> The Sun ... it's just the beginning -- Despite its powerful influence in familiar mainstream astrology, The Sun in your horoscope gives a whole lot more information to an astrologer than simply the characteristics associated with its sign.
* Sun Sign Meaning -- How you see and engage the world ---> What shines? -- The Sun is the only element in the conventional horoscope that creates its own light. Everything else in the horoscope that "shines" enough for you to see it in the sky does so with reflected light from The Sun. Following the metaphor, The Sun in your horoscope shows how you were meant to "shine" in life ... and the kind of light you were designed to give the world.